Audio Software with 10' interface?
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm just wondering if there is any dedicated audio software out there that has a 10' interface or a skin that will work seamlessly on a HTPC setup?

The software must run on Windows and play back FLAC files with replaygain information. Ease of use (from the couch) is also very high on the list of requirements.

I'd love to use Windows Media Centre but FLAC support is limited at most (as far as I can get to work anyway) and replaygain isn't supported.

So are there any apps out there that will do what I need?

Thanks
Paul

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 7
Sorry don't understand what you mean by 10' interface/skin? You mean a remote control? Or visual interface?

As for HTPC software what about Mediaportal? Supports flac. ASIO works as well. Winamp plugin, and I know Winamp supports replaygain.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 7
10' interface is one that is designed to be used from 10' away as opposed to the normal viewing distances of a PC (MediaPortal and Media Centre are examples as you noted above)

I did try MediaPortal but it doesn't seem to be very stable on my system. Random crashes all over the place (tried both the v1 and v1.1 alpha). I spent a couple of days trying to work out the issues but with no success.

Paul

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 7
No problems with Mediaportal here, do you have .dot 2 & 3.5 installed? If you want to be able to use it from 10' away I'd look into a large LCD TV. I see you have a Squeezebox V2 any reason that isn't 1st choice? No need for a TV then. And far more stable than Mediaportal

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Take a look at J. River Media Center. They have a theater view which is their 10' interface (for using the TV as a monitor while sitting on the couch). It does FLAC and replay gain and has excellent playback support (bit perfect, gapless, etc.).

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at J. River Media Center. They have a theater view which is their 10' interface (for using the TV as a monitor while sitting on the couch). It does FLAC and replay gain and has excellent playback support (bit perfect, gapless, etc.).

x2
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi guys. I'm from J. River. Matt, our CTO, has posted here a few times and thanks for the help you've given him.

One of our users put up a gallery of screenshots of our software in Theater View mode.

Link to Screenshots

It works well with a standard Microsoft Media Center remote. Other remotes like the Harmony series also can be trained to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back