Audio setup suggestions around tripple screen computer setup
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

morunas

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I would like to improve the audio on my desktop, and my main challenge is not having desk space, while using three 27'' screens which I need for work (landscape+landscape+portrait) and a desk that goes up/down, as well as not having any experience with good sound systems.

What I currently have sound wise is:

Soundcard - ASUS Xonar DX PCIe soundcard
I bought this soundcard to be able to get stereo music to all 5 satelites via the Virtual Speaker Shifter. Could have been a mistake... but I just love to be "immersed" in the sound, rather than facing it. Does that make sense?

Speakers - Logitech X-530 (5.1) connected to the soundcard
The satelite speakers are not positioned surround, but instead 4 arching in front of me and 1 on the right on the wall as my desk is in a corner. By fiddling with C-media Panel UNi Xonar Audio and using the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter, I can get the sound to feel more balanced despite the awkward positioning of the satelites. However, it's far from perfect and the speakers sound quality seems to drop at low volumes (for ambient/working) and high volumes (entertainment).

Headphones - Sennheiser RS180 (I plug them to my Røde mic which connects via USB)
These sound great, love the low latency which allows me to play guitar via Focusrite.

What I am trying to figure out
- Would an external amp help anything with my RS180?
- Should I get an external amp and passive speakers instead of the X-530? (I've also posted on avsforum in search for small good speakers and the best bet on the table is either Audioengine A2+ or KEF LSX on their sides.
- Is the soundcard doing anything for me?
- Should I forget about trying to get a good speaker setup with three screens and just focus on headphones?

99% music, 1% movies / video conferencing

I'm looking for general advise, tips, inspiration, specific models, similar situation/setup experience, etc.

Best regards,
morunas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back