Audio Setup Questions
May 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #32 of 60
I see it now, thanks.

Well, what do you think about that? With an extra amp, it would suit my needs, wouldn't it?
I'm not sure about the headphone amp impedance regarding the 1/8 rule for the HD598, thats why I wrote an email.

What do you think of the Lepai 2020 as an external amp? Or do you know another one that'll work fine with the DALI Zensor 1?

May 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #33 of 60
The Lepai 2020+? It's a decent amp for the price, but I think you can get t-amps with a little better build quality and electronic components from Topping and Indeed. Will a t-amp run the Dalis? I think they should, but I don't know for sure.

May 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #34 of 60
I've found another device, which I ruled out for some reasons I don't remember, but now it seems pretty good for me, though expensive:

Xonar Essence STU

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STU

I wouldn't be needing the internal soundcard then and would just buy an extra amp and the speakers, isn't that right?

//edit:

Oh well, it has a 10 ohm headphone output as well.. and I do not know if it supports dolby headphone...

May 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #36 of 60
Yes, I love the design and the features. But I don't know if it supports dolby headphone. I want the surround sound...
Cannot find information concerning this, so I wrote an email to Asus, if it features surroundsound I will probably buy it.

May 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #38 of 60
Yeah, that would probably be very stupid and even getting over my budget.

My safest bet is now getting the TubeMagic D1 + soundcard + amp.

I've contacted Maverick and Ryan told me that the TubeMagic supports only PCM 2-channel as an optical in.
Now I am not sure, if a soundcard can transmit virtualized surroundsound over that.
Therefore I am doing a little research, but it's too confusing, no clear information about that...

If it does though, I consider buying a D1.

//edit:
Found this on the internet:

[size=x-small]"And like all SPDIF implementations, 5.1 PCM over SPDIF is impossible.

You can output virtualized 5.1 via Dolby Headphone over SPDIF, because the audio stream is really 2.1, just virtualized.
[/size]
"

Source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368653

So it will be possible, as far as I understand it.

I wait for the answer from Ryan and Asus, but I might get this stuff now:

Maverick TubeMagic D1
Asus Xonar DSX
DALI Zensor 1
and for the amp I'm not decided yet. Maybe I'll get a topping t-amp. But I will have to import that, too, since they don't sell in my country.
(Maybe a Topping TP20-Mark2)

//edit2:
Found new information:

[size=x-small]"If you want a card to send out 5.1 S/Pdif for games, music and movies, you require a card with a DTS-C or DDL encoder.[/size]"
[size=x-small]"You need the Xonar DSX which has the Encoder."[/size]

Source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368653

So I will probably get the DSX.

//edit3:

Oh well, the DSX doesn't even have an optical out.. ?

May 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #39 of 60
Right. There is no real surround sound for stereo headphones. There is only DSP mucking with the original 2 channel audio signal to create some kind of artificial sound or DSP combining 5.1 into stereo, but it's still 2 channel audio. A 2 channel DAC with optical input will convert from digital to analog whatever 2 channel digital audio signal the sound card sends via PCM. That's all it does. Just converts.The sound card does all the DSP. That's why the Xonar DG/DGX are a good deal. Cheap for Dolby Headphone DSP.

May 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #40 of 60
So you agree, it will work even with the Xonar DG?
Because I find conflicting information (see my previous post _edit2_).

Very well, so it works regarding Xonar DG -> TubeMagic D1.
Now the only thing I need to find is a decent amp for the speakers.

The DALI Zensor 1 feature 6 ohm impedance. I do not understand a lot of speakers and impedances, but I guess it will be the best if I have an amp with a 6 ohm output, wouldn't it?
Or am I needing 12 ohm output, since I connect 2 speakers?
The Topping TP20-Mark2 features "Output Power 2 x 23W @ 4ohm, 2 x 13W @ 8ohm".
I'm not so sure if it's the right thing then...? (Plus I need to import it..)

May 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #41 of 60
So you agree, it will work even with the Xonar DG?

I just said that????

The Topping TP20-Mark2 features "Output Power 2 x 23W @ 4ohm, 2 x 13W @ 8ohm".
I'm not so sure if it's the right thing then...?

If amp for powering speakers will output 4 ohm and 8 ohm, it will output 6 ohm.

(Plus I need to import it..)

I'd suggest getting over your Ebay bias. Good deals on t-amps to be had by ordering direct. I'm currently listening to the Indeed TA2021S that I mentioned, and it's awesome for $75. Shipped directly from China to the US in about a week with tracking.

May 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #42 of 60
I'm sorry, I was just making sure, returning is kind of hard if I import it from overseas.

So the speakers and the amp will be nice together, good to know.

The Indeed looks awesome, indeed.
I'm not against ebay, don't get me wrong, I just fear returning or repairing it when it's from abroad.

But I just might get it.

May 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #43 of 60
bump

I just ordered the HD598 and the Xonar DG. Next up is the TubeMagic D1 and the Indeed amp, as well as the speakers.

One question though: Do you recommend a specific cable for connecting the speakers and the amp?

Or can I just use this RCA cable for DAC -> Amp:
http://www.amazon.de/Audiokabel-PREMIUM-geschirmtes-vergoldete-Impedanz/dp/B000VFKQJY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1370004766&sr=8-9&keywords=rca+kabel

And one of these for Amp -> speakers?
http://www.amazon.de/Hama-Lautsprecherkabel-mm%C2%B2-15-Transparent/dp/B00006JAJC/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1370005081&sr=8-26&keywords=lautsprecherkabel
Can I just buy one of these and cut it in half so I have 2 for every speaker?

May 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #44 of 60
Those cables look like they would be fine. And yes. Speaker wire you buy in whatever bulk length you want and cut to suit. Just keep the left and right wires roughly the same length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back