Audio Research Files for Bankruptcy
May 2, 2023 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
May 2, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, looks like high end audio is falling on some hard times. FYI, assignment for the benefit of the creditors is similar to a bankruptcy filing but with no court oversight.

https://www.strata-gee.com/audio-re...les-court-docs-to-enter-form-of-receivership/

I wonder who is next.
The company is being sold, and isn't going out of business. At least according to a company representative who posted on the ASR thread. He stated that further details were to be posted on the company's Facebook page, but I haven't had time to follow up. FYI.

May 2, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 5
The company is being sold, and isn't going out of business. At least according to a company representative who posted on the ASR thread. He stated that further details were to be posted on the company's Facebook page, but I haven't had time to follow up. FYI.
To be accurate, ABC is more like a chapter 11 but without court oversight. Anyway, it's a bad signal for the high end market and I think we will see more pains in the coming months.

May 2, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 5
If you read further on in the article, it says that there is a buyer or group of buyers who are going to step in. At least that what one commenter said. Though another did say "Toast." I hope it's not toast, it's a namesake brand and a good outcome, I think, would help the industry, provide some confidence. At least, that's my opinion. :)

May 3, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 5
So it looks like Audio Research is trying to avoid being another Onkyo:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksp...finally-files-for-bankruptcy/?sh=5e6ec2206f1c

However, they need to find a buyer that can take on Audio Research's debts with their own debts and make a profit out of it. However, as said in the Forbes article, I do not know if AR is able to take their older brand name and revive it as a current audio image. After all, global supply chains are still having trouble restructuring from the last few years and more essential supply chains between or around Europe/Asia boundary lines and well stalled from territorial conflicts. This buyer will have to quite special at finding a way to make the AR entity profitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back