Audio recording analogue to digital
Dec 22, 2005 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FrankZip

New Head-Fier
Good Day,

Looking for a portable recording device with analogue input to record into
digital format. Preferably high audio quality, at least CD quality, not MP3. Will be recording, my collection of vinyl and cassttes. If not available as portable what else is there in stand alone unit or even for PC.

Thank you.

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 5
I think your best bet for recording is still Hi-MD. Whilst some HDD and flash players have line in most of them aren't great and virtually none include an uncompressed option.

Hi-MD can record across using PCM at CD bitrate and sample rate directly onto the disc if you want to use it to archive and you can upload these files to a PC if you want to.

As for standalone units you could always just get a CD Recorder for your hi-fi although as a format this is a lot more akward to work with than MD though getting it from the device to your PC will probably be quicker and you'll have a much greater range of options.

Finally in terms of PC solutions I wouldn't use the line-in on your soundcard. Unless the soundcard is of a high quality and designed for it they tend not to be great. Your better off getting a designed solution such as this.

It all depends on what you want to do with these recordings and how complex it will be to hook things up to the Hi-Fi.

Dec 24, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Marantz CD recorder

I don't know what your willing to spend, but this is what I use to convert analogue to CD. I know that it is expensive, however I work A/V while I'm at school. I know that the price is rediculous, but you probably could find some local A/V place that would let you rent a unit for a fair price if you only need it for a weekend or perhaps a full week. The headphone out of the unit is deceptive because it has quite a bit of background noise; However the DACs sound quite good and the final CD product has a very low noise floor. If you want higher than MP3 quality, IMHO CD recorders and DAT machines are the only option. Maybe I just have that opinion though because I have access to the equipment and know what it is capable of.

Dec 24, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Aaton Cantar-X: http://www.aaton.com/products/sound/cantar/index.php

Nagra V: http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/...ts_nagra_v.php

Hmmm, maybe you should mention a price range...
evil_smiley.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back