Audio rack shelves - Glass or MDF?
Jun 22, 2004 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LarryS

100+ Head-Fier
I've been shopping around a bit for an audio rack, and am salivating towards the Lovan Sovereign rack. The shelves come in either glass (clear or frosted) or MDF. The frosted glass shelves look really sharp, and (visible) dust should be less of an issue with them. But, glass can break...though I'll be careful
rolleyes.gif

Regardless, is there any difference in the sonic characteristics of glass or MDF which would make one preferable over the other in an audio rack???

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 5
From what I've read, glass is one of the worse materials out there for hi fi shelving. It's supposed to be badly reflective and have little if any vibration dampening ability. I would go with the MDF myself.

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't have a Lovan Sovereign rack but the stand I use with my system has a combination of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and glass shelves. My glass shelves are tempered glass that is fairly thick. To be honest I can not tell the difference. I have moved components around and I really did not hear any change.

Jun 22, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 5
I disagree with Gopher, glass is not a bad material for stands. After all, look at Mana. Maybe for the flexy rack they are bad, but if they are isolated glass is very good. The heavier the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back