Audio Quality
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:
I don't care about lossy compression filed on my iPhone at all. Almost all of my IEM's (Grado GR10 - e-Q5) aren't revealing enough to show the effects of a lossy compression of 256-320 Kbps AAC file.

AAC-LC compression is better than you think it is.  You can cut those bitrates in half, using the right encoder and settings, and not hear the effects.  In my ABX testing AAC goes transparent at less than ~128kbit/sec using true vbr & highest quality with the latest Quicktime encoder (outside of Quicktime).  You should try it and see.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #32 of 37

Quote:
AAC-LC compression is better than you think it is.  You can cut those bitrates in half, using the right encoder and settings, and not hear the effects.  In my ABX testing AAC goes transparent at less than ~128kbit/sec using true vbr & highest quality with the latest Quicktime encoder (outside of Quicktime).  You should try it and see.

That all depends on the individuals ears, my friend. 
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #33 of 37

Quote:
I don't care about lossy compression filed on my iPhone at all. Almost all of my IEM's (Grado GR10 - e-Q5) aren't revealing enough to show the effects of a lossy compression of 256-320 Kbps AAC file.

Very true.  I was truly stunned when I wasn't able to pass the ABX test using my portable setup (HM-602 + eQ-7).  I thought my hearing just wasn't good enough but I can definitely pass the ABX test with HE-6.

On my portable, I try not to bother with anything lower than V0.  I will prefer flac and 320 CBR.  320 CBR still takes up relatively little space.  Even then I can load up on flac as I only put a limited amount of songs when I'm out anyway
tongue_smile.gif
  I've been listening to the same song, multiple times a day for the past 3 or so months.  I'm such a boring guy.

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Very true.  I was truly stunned when I wasn't able to pass the ABX test using my portable setup (HM-602 + eQ-7).  I thought my hearing just wasn't good enough but I can definitely pass the ABX test with HE-6.

On my portable, I try not to bother with anything lower than V0.  I will prefer flac and 320 CBR.  320 CBR still takes up relatively little space.  Even then I can load up on flac as I only put a limited amount of songs when I'm out anyway
tongue_smile.gif

Totally agree. All of my portable systems just don't work well for that sort of testing. I can hear a difference running FLAC vs lossy on the HD800's so clearly. Everything sounds like a muddled mess on the HD800 when playing anything but lossless files.

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #36 of 37

Quote:
I rip all my music to lossless (FLAC).  I do it mostly because I don't want to re-rip to get the files into another format in the future.  That and HD space is relatively cheap.  However for putting music on a portable music player I have no problems with lossy compression.  It's not the devil most people make it out to be.

I completely agree with this but when using boutique audiophile players I do not. These types of players are very revealing and I want the best audio experience I can get with them (Lossless). On basic DAPs like my Sansa Fuze or iphone4 there is no reason to use Lossless as it is just a waste of space for minimal sound improvement.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #37 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeQte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm but thing is I listen to Dubstep and the artists don't sell CD's of any sort.
I just usually find my music on Youtube and such.
As I have never heard the real thing (since I've only heard it on Youtube), will it not contain some important aspects of the audio such as Bass? will it be a lower quality bass? 

www.beatport.com

A very substantial amount (most, more than iTunes or Amazon) of dubstep (and other EDM) artists sell there music here. And you have your choice of 320kbps MP3 or WAV (albiet expensive, $1 more per WAV)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back