Audio quality of the new Macbook (Pro)
Jan 4, 2009 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

analogbox

Headphoneus Supremus
I've using my aluminum macbook for a few months now and I'm constantly surprised how good the headphone out is. I know the corda move doesn't have the greatest DAC on board but it sound decent, and the headphone out from the new macbook (pro, too?) sounds just as good in both quality and quantity department. What really surprised me was how it can drive HD650/HD600 to a more than adequate level which my PC doesn't even come close to. It doesn't have much soundstage and it's not as detailed as dedicated amps but, with this level of performance, I really don't feel the necessary to carry a dedicated DAC when going portable. What's your take on the new macbook's (pro) headphone out performance?

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm guessing you are talking about the new macbookpro with the imac styling, well I have the previous all matte silver one and I have to agree with you the ouput on it is very decent and would'nt hesitate just using that without bringing an amp when I'm on the move. However I do love using my ibasso d3 with it for my 595s.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Yup. I meant the new aluminum macbooks with LED screens.
wink.gif

I always use PK1 for my portable rig but I'd always have to carry either corda move or Fiio to power it adequately, however, with the new macbook I no longer have to carry any amps to get a decent output out of PK1 which is one less hassle to worry about.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 9
I noticed the same thing going from the on board sound of my desktop to the Macbook. The sound is slightly better (and with out the whining and buzzing noise my desktop makes). The speakers on the other hand are really weak.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 9
I have not heard the newest unibody MacBook Pro's.
But am well pleased with the audio quality from my 1 1/2 year old MacBook Pro (LED screen).

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the newest unibody MacBook Pro's.
But am well pleased with the audio quality from my 1 1/2 year old MacBook Pro (LED screen).

I had a G4 Powerbook which I gave to my sister. If I remember correctly I wasn't all that impressed with the sound quality but I guess Apple's been improving it ever since then. I haven't had any other notebooks other than Apple's. I wonder what the usually quality of the other name laptop brands is such as Dell, Toshiba and Sony just to name a few.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tseryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the same thing going from the on board sound of my desktop to the Macbook. The sound is slightly better (and with out the whining and buzzing noise my desktop makes). The speakers on the other hand are really weak.

That's one other thing I'm very satisfied about. The noise floor is very low and unless you're in a completely silent environment, you won't be able to hear the noise. However, my PC makes horrible, horrible noises. It's almost unusable.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 9
I have a 1 year old mac book pro (the matte finish) and I use hd650s. I think that it is adequate for mp3s if you don't need it too loud, but I've found it inadequate with my lossless tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back