AUDIO PLAYERS: Fiio X5 vs Colorfly C4 vs AK 100 II vs HM901
Dec 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Noah99

Moon Audio Ambassador
I'm in the market for a new audio player under $1000.
Just post your opinions on the DAPs listed
This is just an overall comparison, UI, Sound, Battery life, etc.
I'm currently using Sennheiser IE800 IEMs w/ 16bit Flac files...
Going to purchase 24bit files soon!

Fiio X5:
http://www.amazon.com/X5-Resolution-Lossless-Music-Player/dp/B00I4Q9S32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418392972&sr=8-1&keywords=fiio+x5&pebp=1418393022533

Colorfly C4:
http://www.amazon.com/Colorfly-Pocket-HiFi-C4-32G/dp/B008Q0LRSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418393009&sr=8-1&keywords=colorfly+c4&pebp=1418393058299

AK100 II:
http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK100II-Resolution-Single/dp/B00L3NASWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418321557&sr=8-1&keywords=ak+100+II&pebp=1418321608295

HM901:
http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-HM-901-High-Resolution-High-Fideltiy-Portable/dp/B00EE9B3LI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418393041&sr=8-1&keywords=hm901&pebp=1418393090114

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 10
Personally, I'd spring for a U2 ipod on eBay which are currently selling for a few hundred bucks. This one is listed at just under $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-classic-4th-Generation-U2-Special-Edition-Black-Red-20-GB-/151504821013?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item2346641b15

From experience, I'd say that the 4th Generation iPods can't be beat in terms of sound quality/image. The U2 one is striking visually with its red on black scheme, evocative of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in a way, but moreso the band's 2004 classic How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb which everyone rightfully agrees stands tall alongside other Grammy Album of the Year winners such as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Songs In The Key Of Life

Sound-wise, the player absolutely excels at playing music in Apple's AAC format, the world's most popular proprietary music format. In short, this player was meant for AAC files which compress larger music files into smaller ones while sacrificing literally none of the depth and range of their source recordings. Trust me, when you listen intently with your Kobe brand knock-off earbuds (which are comparable to the studio quality iPod ones), you won't be able to tell anything's missing.

Firmware is extremely responsive, click-wheel is obviously genius. The player itself is meant for tunes unlike other i-devices that would later add video and gaming features. This one is meant for sheer sonic excellence and it has still yet to be topped. 

I've heard similarly priced items such as the Fiio X5 and the two aren't even close. The X5 is bulky, far more expensive than most 4th gen iPod auctions on eBay and the sound quality is absolutely tinny (let's not even get into all of the firmware issues it has). This is one of the cases where your ears should be doing the testing rather than your eyes/wallet/better judgement. My young ears were recently tested at a range of up to 26 Bits in fact, so I have a leg-up on a lot of this forum's older members in terms of judgement. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 10
C4 for style, 901 for sound
X5 and AK100 way behind especially if you add Minibox to 901

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Audible legend do you work for Apple? I have not read such utter codswallop on here for ages.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 10
  Personally, I'd spring for a U2 ipod on eBay which are currently selling for a few hundred bucks. This one is listed at just under $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-classic-4th-Generation-U2-Special-Edition-Black-Red-20-GB-/151504821013?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item2346641b15

From experience, I'd say that the 4th Generation iPods can't be beat in terms of sound quality/image. The U2 one is striking visually with its red on black scheme, evocative of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in a way, but moreso the band's 2004 classic How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb which everyone rightfully agrees stands tall alongside other Grammy Album of the Year winners such as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Songs In The Key Of Life

Sound-wise, the player absolutely excels at playing music in Apple's AAC format, the world's most popular proprietary music format. In short, this player was meant for AAC files which compress larger music files into smaller ones while sacrificing literally none of the depth and range of their source recordings. Trust me, when you listen intently with your Kobe brand knock-off earbuds (which are comparable to the studio quality iPod ones), you won't be able to tell anything's missing.

Firmware is extremely responsive, click-wheel is obviously genius. The player itself is meant for tunes unlike other i-devices that would later add video and gaming features. This one is meant for sheer sonic excellence and it has still yet to be topped. 

I've heard similarly priced items such as the Fiio X5 and the two aren't even close. The X5 is bulky, far more expensive than most 4th gen iPod auctions on eBay and the sound quality is absolutely tinny (let's not even get into all of the firmware issues it has). This is one of the cases where your ears should be doing the testing rather than your eyes/wallet/better judgement. My young ears were recently tested at a range of up to 26 Bits in fact, so I have a leg-up on a lot of this forum's older members in terms of judgement. 

When it comes to getting premium audio output, I'm sorry but Apple is not even worth mentioning.

I'm in search for an audio player which excels in sound quality and user interface.
I would buy the HM901 but I have heard some negative feedback with the early software builds,
though that must be resolved by now.

The AK100 II, (not mark 2, but generation 2),
has features that have really caught my eye like the ability to use it as a music server, Bluetooth, clean solid look, simple UI, DAC line out, etc.
The HM901 has about half of the features the AK100 II has along with that the HM901 has a cheapo outer shell and UI look when compared to the all metal AK 100 II

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 10

I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with you...

As an apple user myself, I highly appreciate the UI and sound quality. But to claim that it can't be beat in terms of sound quality is far from fact. I have done A/B comparison between daps using a toggle switch device and none of the apple products I've tried can even beat the Colorfly C3 (a $100 dap). iPods do sound good but please don't make falls claims.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree with you...

As an apple user myself, I highly appreciate the UI and sound quality. But to claim that it can't be beat in terms of sound quality is far from fact. I have done A/B comparison between daps using a toggle switch device and none of the apple products I've tried can even beat the Colorfly C3 (a $100 dap). iPods do sound good but please don't make falls claims.

I don't mean to make this an argument but I will not be purchasing an apple product. This is because I am not Impressed with their sound signature.
Back to the real issue: I'm willing to spend At least $600. For a DAP
I listed the Fiio X5 as a reference point
The real competition for my taste, is between the HM901 and AK100 II
Please feel free to post your opinions on the two or even the Colorfly C4

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 10
I think Audiblelegend is a Head-Fi forum legend already.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 10
I will most likely purchase the HM901, due to the high ratings and positive feedback. Along
with that I will purchase the IEM amp card--
http://www.moon-audio.com/hifiman-hm-901-iem-amp-card.html

SO EXCITED!!! I'll keep you guys updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back