Audio-Opus OPUS #11
Nov 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #93 of 229
Pretty neat combo
wink.gif

That looks dope!

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #94 of 229
Anybody using this with an iOS device? I presume as was mentioned earlier that you plug in your headphones (to power the DAC on) then connect to your phone so as to ensure your phone does not try to charge/power the DAC....is this how iOS will handle it when the lightning to USB is connected? I just want to make sure there would not be excessive battery draw from my iPhone and that all works as it should before purchasing.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #95 of 229
Anybody using this with an iOS device? I presume as was mentioned earlier that you plug in your headphones (to power the DAC on) then connect to your phone so as to ensure your phone does not try to charge/power the DAC....is this how iOS will handle it when the lightning to USB is connected? I just want to make sure there would not be excessive battery draw from my iPhone and that all works as it should before purchasing.

I assume the power question is pretty common when talking about DACs drawing power from your device.

Can't speak for iPhone, but the otg supplied cable works perfectly.

If you do find the DAC draws power, you can always modify the cable. Super easy mod.

For example, I bought the cable (android l shaped counterpart) at :

http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-to-Micro-USB-Pure-Silver-Cable

And modified it as described earlier in thread.

The L shaped version is really easy to open if needed.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #96 of 229

When i am home I use the PHA and when out I switch covers and use the portable friendly OPUS.
Just read the thread and missed the folks calling this bright.  Lets say warm is furthest from bright and neutral sits between them.
Bright? Cozoy Aegis, Some idevices. 
Neutral? PHA, FiiO X7
Warm? Mojo, OPUS, Soundaware M1

I think it's on the other side of the scale. Pink Floyd vinyl rip of DSoTM used on all the devices mentioned.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #97 of 229
I assume the power question is pretty common when talking about DACs drawing power from your device.

Can't speak for iPhone, but the otg supplied cable works perfectly.

If you do find the DAC draws power, you can always modify the cable. Super easy mod.

For example, I bought the cable (android l shaped counterpart) at :

http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-to-Micro-USB-Pure-Silver-Cable

And modified it as described earlier in thread.

The L shaped version is really easy to open if needed.

Thank you for this, I never considered modding the cable. I was hoping to get a lightning to micro USB cable that had the necessary CCK hardware so I wouldn't have to use my lightning to USB adapter and then another cable. I am thinking though that I would need the "decoding" cable from Penon

http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Or another equivalent to test with and potentially mod.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #98 of 229

When i am home I use the PHA and when out I switch covers and use the portable friendly OPUS.
Just read the thread and missed the folks calling this bright.  Lets say warm is furthest from bright and neutral sits between them.
Bright? Cozoy Aegis, Some idevices. 
Neutral? PHA, FiiO X7
Warm? Mojo, OPUS, Soundaware M1

I think it's on the other side of the scale. Pink Floyd vinyl rip of DSoTM used on all the devices mentioned.

Thanks for the comparisons. Where do you place the HA-2 in that mix? It's my other possible candidate....

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #99 of 229
Thanks for the comparisons. Where do you place the HA-2 in that mix? It's my other possible candidate....

If I am not mistaken the OPUS #11 was in fact built/designed/sourced or whatever term.. by the folks at OPPO. Pretty sure it was and uses the same DAC.
I liked the HA-2 but that was at my peak power hunting stage (portable basshead spirit walking) and I was more focused on bass switches and max power.
I would not call the HA-2 bright. Nice piece of kit. If....warm is a way of describing a thicker sound with slightly forward mids in sound if not on graph..then I'd say the HA-2 would be a more powerful adjustable neutral item with a switch that can thicken and warm the sonics.

I have heard many say the X7 is neutral and I agree and the Mojo is thick and warm and I agree. I would add the iDSD nano and micro to the bright category as others have implied and I agree.  I always use Neutron and the apps do have an effect on sound. ONKYO which if using DSD up sampling makes everything sound bright is a no go for me. Just my opinions. RHA is coming out with a dac/amp that is worth keeping an eye on. I just remembered that as i was typing so put that on your list.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #100 of 229
 If I am not mistaken the OPUS #11 was in fact built/designed/sourced or whatever term.. by the folks at OPPO. Pretty sure it was and uses the same DAC.
I liked the HA-2 but that was at my peak power hunting stage (portable basshead spirit walking) and I was more focused on bass switches and max power.
I would not call the HA-2 bright. Nice piece of kit. If....warm is a way of describing a thicker sound with slightly forward mids in sound if not on graph..then I'd say the HA-2 would be a more powerful adjustable neutral item with a switch that can thicken and warm the sonics.

I have heard many say the X7 is neutral and I agree and the Mojo is thick and warm and I agree. I would add the iDSD nano and micro to the bright category as others have implied and I agree.  I always use Neutron and the apps do have an effect on sound. ONKYO which if using DSD up sampling makes everything sound bright is a no go for me. Just my opinions. RHA is coming out with a dac/amp that is worth keeping an eye on. I just remembered that as i was typing so put that on your list.

This is helpful- thank you. I had no idea the affiliation between this device and Oppo- very cool! I demoed the HA-2 at RMAF in 2015 and the HA-2SE this year at RMAF though I didn't spend enough time with either to delineate the differences between the two (let alone after a year in between). From my memory though, I share similar feelings as you. The bass boost was nice to warm things up. I'm just not sure I need all that the HA-2 has to offer. I appreciate the simplicity of the Opus #11.

I felt that the Mojo was thick and easy to listen to, quite musical. Dragonfly Black very smooth and warm sounding, but I could use a bit more detail. DF Red was too bright for my tastes. I've been using a Hifimediy 9018 which uses the same ESS 9018k2m as the original HA-2 and Opus 11 and that device strikes a nice balance for me. I get good detail and separation but I don't feel I'm missing anything in the mid bass, it manages to still sound full but "un-muddied". I like the form factor however of the Opus #11 and HA-2 as the Hifimediy 9018 is not really portable/pocketable. If there are no battery drain issues with the Opus #11 and iOS then I feel that is the device for me. I suppose I could always purchase from Amazon and test it.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #103 of 229
It's a thing of beauty

Very nice indeed! I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Opus #11. I plan on testing with my iPhone 6S and Apple USB 3 adapter. So long as I enjoy it sonically and it functions the way I need it to, then I will order a Lavricables lightning to micro usb cable (with CCK decoding chips) as mentioned in the Mojo thread to hopefully have a functional, tidy stack.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #104 of 229

Very nice indeed! I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Opus #11. I plan on testing with my iPhone 6S and Apple USB 3 adapter. So long as I enjoy it sonically and it functions the way I need it to, then I will order a Lavricables lightning to micro usb cable (with CCK decoding chips) as mentioned in the Mojo thread to hopefully have a functional, tidy stack.

It is a very nice piece of kit.
Love the sound. My portable solution.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #105 of 229
I received my Opus #11 and it just sounds wonderful-- Easy to listen to anything...smooth at times, yet with detail and delineation...I love the signature. My only disappointment is in the build quality. My unit's case is slightly warped/pushed in around the charge/connector lights. I purchased on Amazon so I may see if I can get another one sent because I definitely love what I'm hearing. 

Also, has anyone updated to the latest firmware? Apparently there have been concurrent firmware releases with the same updates, though one firmware has -9 db in the volume and the other 0??? This is what I've been able to decipher from the website and translating random posts in the forum/faqs of the audio-opus website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back