Audio only Blu-ray standard being developed.
Sep 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

barleyguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to get comments, opinions, rants, etc. on this. A featured topic at this year's AES convention is the development of a standard for audio only, screenless navigable, high sample rate, BluRay discs. I suspect this will either overshadow SACD and DVD-A, or just become another niche format with no market penetration. I'm not sure what would be wrong with simply delivering 96/24 WAV or Flac files over the Internet instead of bothering with new disc based formats.

So what do you all think? Is this a useless effort? Is it the disc based format that will finally get high bitrates into the mainstream? Somewhere in between?

AES Standards News Blog: AES-X188, Blu-ray Disc new project launched

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, I am not a fan of hdmi, aka blu ray format. If they ever come out with one, I either need to buy another DAC that can process dts-hdma/true-hd instead of my current dac to enjoy this new format. If not, I will have to go through eac3to conversion which I hate to do, but already am doing for certain bluray concerts.

I can use the dac in my receiver, but its performance is less than desirable. But, if this things alive, I think it'll have more commercial success than SACD since most all receivers nowadays support bitstream and true-hd/dts-ma

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 12
operating without menus would be a huge plus. it's my only problem with the 2L audio bluray media, and DVDA - you need some kind of display to get running.

hopefully they can do this without screwing up DRM, and user rights ( read: hah. )

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to get comments, opinions, rants, etc. on this. A featured topic at this year's AES convention is the development of a standard for audio only, screenless navigable, high sample rate, BluRay discs. I suspect this will either overshadow SACD and DVD-A, or just become another niche format with no market penetration. I'm not sure what would be wrong with simply delivering 96/24 WAV or Flac files over the Internet instead of bothering with new disc based formats.

So what do you all think? Is this a useless effort? Is it the disc based format that will finally get high bitrates into the mainstream? Somewhere in between?

AES Standards News Blog: AES-X188, Blu-ray Disc new project launched

If the discs retail @ $8.99 and sound better than SACD, then this new format has a chance in the market. My skeptical side predicts that the discs will retail @ $19.98 resulting in few people buying. I still feel that hybrid SACD discs would still sell @ $8.99 but corporate greed doesn't seem to like the reasonable price. Back in 1985, I was buying new LPs at a local cooperative store @ $5.99. The new compact disc was suppose to have better sound @ $11.99 and the price was suppose to decline to the LP level once the discs could be manufactured in the USA. We just had to wait for a couple of plants to be built. I was then told that the early CD players were old Tech and I had to buy a new generation machine to beat my Thorens turntable. 25 years and 10 CD players later, I am still waiting for the good sound improvement and the price of CDs to retail @ $5.99. Had I known then what I know now, I would have just mounted a fancy new tonearm on my old Thorens turntable and called it a day. Digital music is marketed toward tattooed chicks on roller skates. People who listen to music in their living rooms in front of speakers will still probably be listening to vinyl 50 years from now. I would like to get excited about the new audio BluRay format but I can't seem to inspire myself to get very worked up.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 12
this is as doomed as sacd and dvd-a. joe public, unfortunatly does not care about anything more then redbook, as most of the equipment that regular people use can't even come close to maxing out redbook.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
joe public, unfortunatly does not care about anything more then mp3, as most of the equipment that regular people use can't even come close to maxing out mp3.

That's more like it.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 12
Well, I think the companies have another weapon to market their receiver, musics. Come next year, all new cpu/mobos can bitstream the high def audios. That will make a lot of new receiver purchase, or at least the marketing push. If you can pop in the bd audio in your pc, then bit stream to your receiver, there, you have the best quality audios.. Well, in theory at least.

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 12
how many people actually hook their pc up to a reciever?

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 12
If people will buy magic rocks to ward of the distortion fairies from the eleventeenth dimension than there are people who will buy blu-ray audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back