Audio Note Dacs, transports and wire
Jul 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 24
Larry: This guy owns multiple homes with a big system in each. Turntables include the SME 30, Thorens Reference, and a Nordic Concept Reference with Airtangent. He loves tubes and high efficiency speakers.

Dick: That sounds like a fun combo. The OTO SE is an outstanding all-rounder. I'm curious how it would sound powering the K1000. Keep us posted.

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 24
Dick: That sounds like a fun combo. The OTO SE is an outstanding all-rounder. I'm curious how it would sound powering the K1000. Keep us posted.[/QUOTE]

Actually its a STAX energizer that I have just bought on head-fi. But I am curious if it would be a good match for an AKG 1000. I have only used this amp with medium-sensitive speakers in a smallish room and it is impressive. I hope it will be equally so with headphones.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 24
Do you know of any builders that can build the kits for you.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #19 of 24
Reviving an old thread - putting a call out there, has anyone purchased/assembled a Audionote UK DAC recently? How does it compare with say an AGD M7, Metrum Hex, Eximus DP-1, etc? :)

Just learnt about this brand and am including it in my DAC considerations.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 24
I built an Audio Note kit 2.1C . I also have a Metrum Octave.  Despite completely different designs, they both sound sound quite similar. If you prefer a traditional analog presentation to a modern "flavor-of-the-month" digital approach, then both product lines are well worth consideration. Right now I'm debating between upgrading my Audio Note or going with the Hex. Either way, it will the end of the digital road for me.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 24
I recently purchased a Audio Note kit 2.1b built by digitalpete. I have a Lynx Hilo to compare with and think the Audio Note is as good or slightly better than the Lynx. DAC's are so close in sound it takes some effort to really distinguish one form another but I definitely prefer the Audio Note to the Hilo. I agree with Frank's comment about analog presentation being a trademark of the Audio Note DAC. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 24
I built the full tilt AudioNoteKits DAC 4.1 with the new triple C core output transformers.  I also use an EL34 PP amp by AudioNoteKits.  I like both units, and continue to use them daily in my system.  Quality stuff, put together well, with great instructions.  Sound is way above the price point of the kits. Plus you get the advantage to seeing what is in your unit, and how well it's put there.

That being said, it looks like PartsConnexion is moving away from the Audio Note parts, and AudioNoteKits (a Canadian outfit) is moving away from Audio Note iron (transformers, which have gotten very expensive).  I am waiting to see if he moves away from Audio Note parts altogether.  While there are "better" coupling capacitors now a days, there is a sweet music to the big AN copper capacitors that I am not eager to get away from.  I always considered the AN stuff to be "brute force" simple, solid, circuits made with very, very good parts.  There is a certain musicality to the gear which I fear will be lost with too many "better" parts substituted for the originals.  I am hoping for him to be able to continue using the good stuff.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #23 of 24
I am in Denmark and Audio Note UK parts are easy to get here.  If you look at http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/audionote/audionote-oil-filled-mylar-capacitors-main.htm you'll find a relatively inexpensive (reasonable, I mean) source of AN components.  You'll have to pay the freight from Holland, though.

I'm about to put a pair of silver foil caps in my Donald North Audio Stratus headphone amp.  

The new Dueland PIO caps are meant to be very good and more neutral than the Audio Notes, at a somewhat lower price than the silvers.  They come from Denmark and Parts Connexion caries them.

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 24
Right now I'm debating between upgrading my Audio Note or going with the Hex. Either way, it will the end of the digital road for me.

Yah I was in a similar boat. Think I'm just going to go the HEX due to acceptance of higher sampling frequency material and better USB implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back