Audio Newbie Heaphone Recommendation
Jun 9, 2014 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hesitate

New Head-Fier
Hi new member here

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, I own a Steelseries Siberia v2 and have decided to step up in the audio department, only ever using "gaming headsets"in the $80 range.

They will be used for all purposes on a daily basis music (listen to a bit of everything), gaming, movies/shows.

Budget is around $200 Aus (can go a bit higher)
Comfort is a priority
My sound card Xonar DGX

What I have looked at are
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
Sennheiser HD 5XX

Locations to buy in Australia
PC Case Gear www.pccasegear.com
Headphonic headphones.com.au

Any suggestions and location for purchases are welcomed

Regards

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 6
There's a load of the older (purple) AD-700 on Aussie Ebay for $140 each..

+1

Those are considered some of the best for gaming, but many people consider them somewhat bass light for music listening. If having some bass is important, I'd go with the Sennheiser HD558 or HD598.

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Here's a quick first impression

It's been a couple days with them now, still need them to break in a bit more though

Comfort
Really good, I have worn them for a few hours in one sitting with no issues

Build
Pretty solid, looks nice and very light, would prefer a detachable cable to use a shorter one (not a big deal though)

Sound
Music/Games have more detail than before everything is more separate and clearer, hearing sounds that I didn't even notice before. For music it's good but feels like it's missing something (using Xonar DGX and EQ is neutral/default, so this could be the problem)

Overall
Pretty happy with the headphones and nothing to complain about, may consider a better sound card or amp in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back