Audio Newb
Aug 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Goodfella

New Head-Fier
I just got my brand new ipod 5.5 30 as a gift and have orderd the fiio amp, the only thing is the headphone part
triportsad.gif
unfortunatley I am obssed with headphones but I dont know the first things about them Ive been looking for a pair and have set my eyes on a pair of

Etymotic Research ER6i

But i dont understand by looking at the specs ?

1 kHz sensitivity - 108 dB at 0.1V
Impedance - 16 Ohms
Maximum output - 120 dB SPL ?

What does these things mean

also does anyone reccomend these for rap with bass and clarity and will the fiio improve these ?

also what is line-out amd why is it needed ?

- Sorry for so many questions but i just want a greater understanding on these becuase music is my life
k701smile.gif
and I want a great listening expirence despite my budget and also can some one reccomend some (IEM)
in that price range.

Thanks
smile.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 2
the er6i is known for lacking in bass and i completely agree after using them for a few months; probably not a good choice for rap. Be aware that headphone specs are not a good way to judge headphones.

ipod line out is used when a separate amp is being used to drive the headphones. This allows for the internal amp of the ipod to be bypassed and results in better sound quality because the higher quality portable amp is driving the phones. This will not work directly with the fiio because the fiio lacks a volume control and when using line out, the volume cannot be adjusted.

If you were to use an inline volume control (attenuator) you would probably be able to use the line out and the fiio. The fiio can also be used right out of the headphone jack. I recommend you try this out and see if the fiio does in fact improve the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back