Audio interface for studio monitors.
Jan 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

romeozdistress

Head-Fier
Ive narrowed my studio monitor search between mackie mr5mk3 and jbl lsr305s. But id rather have some type of interfece to control them. Rather than plugging them into my cheapo soundcard. ive heard that would cause alot of interference. one that i saw thats affordable is presonus audio box. they go used under $100 and are $150 new. thoughts? i know nothing about these sort of things. i dont wanna spend more than $100-$150 in addition to the $300 for the monitors.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 17
The Presonus or Focusrite (2i2) interfaces should be fine, the quality is good.  More expensive interfaces really only give you more I/O, better quality preamps for input, and reduced latency.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 17
One thing to consider, most audio interfaces have a nice volume control for studio monitors.  If you just use a DAC, you will need a preamp or a monitor control.  They don't have to be terribly expensive, but it is something to keep in mind.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 17
  One thing to consider, most audio interfaces have a nice volume control for studio monitors.  If you just use a DAC, you will need a preamp or a monitor control.  They don't have to be terribly expensive, but it is something to keep in mind.

Most monitors have a volume control built in, however they are usually on the back.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 17
  Most monitors have a volume control built in, however they are usually on the back.

And per channel, so to adjust the volume you have to reach behind 2 speakers and make sure they stay matched.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 17
I have been very happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro FW interface for the past few years. I don't hear the DAC which I think is a good think. All the I/O you will ever need for a home audio studio. You want a audio interface to control powered monitors, big headache getting a dac, volume control, preamp etc.

Focusrite also have the Scarlett USB line that that the same preamps (for instruments) that the higher end units have. Solid buy. If you own planars (Hifiman etc) then you will also need a headphone amp. Not enough juice in most audio interfaces. The nice thing about the Scarlett 8/6 is that it also has line outs in addition to monitor outs so you can plug that directly into the headphone amp.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 17
  I have been very happy with my Focusrite Saffire Pro FW interface for the past few years. I don't hear the DAC which I think is a good think. All the I/O you will ever need for a home audio studio. You want a audio interface to control powered monitors, big headache getting a dac, volume control, preamp etc.

Focusrite also have the Scarlett USB line that that the same preamps (for instruments) that the higher end units have. Solid buy. If you own planars (Hifiman etc) then you will also need a headphone amp. Not enough juice in most audio interfaces. The nice thing about the Scarlett 8/6 is that it also has line outs in addition to monitor outs so you can plug that directly into the headphone amp.

thats WAY above my budget though.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 17
thats WAY above my budget though.

Not really. Anyway the 2i4 is very close to your previously expressed budget and does what you want.

It's getting time for you to **** or get off the pot mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back