Audio in/out question
Apr 2, 2010 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
wondering about something, I am considering 2 diffrent laptops currently and one has only 1 audio jack which is a combination in/out and the other has 2 audio jacks, 1 for in and one for out.

So will have a combo in/out versus a dedicated in and out effect sound quality?

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 8
One thing to note, most of these laptops don't contain a 'stereo mix' recording option in them. To bypass this, I've been doing a little mini to mini cable as a 'loopback' of sort. If you're looking for a function like that, you're going to need the two jacks.

Otherwise, I doubt there to be any problems in quality. It will be 'poor' regardless of combination jack or solo jack.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing to note, most of these laptops don't contain a 'stereo mix' recording option in them. To bypass this, I've been doing a little mini to mini cable as a 'loopback' of sort. If you're looking for a function like that, you're going to need the two jacks.

Otherwise, I doubt there to be any problems in quality. It will be 'poor' regardless of combination jack or solo jack.

it will be "poor"? are you suggesting usb would be better? SO my question is what is the most effective way to connect to a DAC.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it will be "poor"? are you suggesting usb would be better? SO my question is what is the most effective way to connect to a DAC.

Onboard analog outs are notoriously terrible. Especially their 'line-in' sampling. USB would be better. Optical, even better. Some laptops now a days have a 3.5mm headphone out that has a combination optical out jack. (Often refered to as an S/PDIF out). But that's often only for out.

What exactly do you need to do? Why do you need a line in?

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Onboard analog outs are notoriously terrible. Especially their 'line-in' sampling. USB would be better. Optical, even better. Some laptops now a days have a 3.5mm headphone out that has a combination optical out jack. (Often refered to as an S/PDIF out). But that's often only for out.

What exactly do you need to do? Why do you need a line in?

ugh sorry, I've actually haven't heard of optical... will research that.

I was given some sort false impression that the stand alone line out would be better than the combo, don't need the line in.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

ugh sorry, I've actually haven't heard of optical... will research that.

Hold up now, just explain what exactly you need to do, and I/we can help you do it, and hopefully explain the technologies... I can even recommend laptops with technology like that, if you give me a required feature set (Personal Computer, Entertainment, Business, Gaming) and price range.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 8
So I want my laptop to connect to my dac (Dacmagic... on its way to me) which will in turn be plugged into my amp (m3). I was looking at Lenovo thinkpads because I love their utalitarian design, some models (t410/t510), have combination in/out audio jacks. My backup plan is possibly a macbook pro when they update. Price range is below 1500$, using it for university, music, some very light photo editing and browsing.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

So I want my laptop to connect to my dac (Dacmagic... on its way to me) which will in turn be plugged into my amp (m3). I was looking at Lenovo thinkpads because I love their utalitarian design, some models (t410/t510), have combination in/out audio jacks. My backup plan is possibly a macbook pro when they update. Price range is below 1500$, using it for university, music, some very light photo editing and browsing.

I dislike Lenovo, because they make you pay for the name... Here's a similar laptop but cheaper, AND with a way better graphics card. Worse screen, though.

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5740G-6395 NoteBook Intel Core i5 520M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - Laptops / Notebooks

Here's another one, if you need the HD resolution. It also has an optical output:
Newegg.com - SONY VPCF11NFX/H NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 16.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - Laptops / Notebooks

Those laptops, plus one of these cables, length of your choice:
Audio Cables - Optical Toslink

And you'd be set, and get a significant gain in audio quality vs USB, as well as being able to do 24/96 through your DACMAGIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back