Audio giveaway: Emu 1212M (US only please)
Mar 26, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 55
I currently use an x-fi xtreme music as my pc source. decent, but not spectacular.

I also would love to use the 1212 for recording and mastering. I play electric violin, and my friends and I record songs for fun. It would also be cool if I could record my youthgroup band using nicer equipment.

edit - I also do have 2 free pci slots, and I know how to baby old PC equipment
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 55
Please count me in. Right now all I have is the built in sound card on my Dell. Not the best in the world. I really want to use it to make MP3s out of all my tapes and LPs. I want better than what is stock on this old computer so I can bring all my old stuff that will never be released on CD to life again.

Thanks and good luck everybody.

Michael

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #18 of 55
Hey there. I'm currently using an Audigy2 ZS.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 55
My computer is my main home source. Right now I have a Chaintech AV710. Not the best. Anyway, I have a ton of work and am extremely sleepy, so I'll leave it at that. Don't really expect to win after that massive post, but thanks for the giveaway.

Mar 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 55
Count me in. Please, please, rescue me from the horrors of onboard sound!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm currently using the lovely AC'97 chipset built into my ASRock939dual-SATA2.

And for the record, while I don't personally play any instruments (though I do have a guitar I could pick up again), my girlfriend and I occasionally attempt to write music and could use something to record with.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 55
i'd like to put my name in the hat.

i will not be using this for myself, but I'll be giving it to a friend. He is a very talented musician, making mostly beats for rap/hip-hop songs, but he records his own music as well. he plays the keyboards.

His name is Samuel Ock.

www.soundclick.com/samuelock

the recording Speed and Purpose is a collaboration we made as a present to our drama teacher Mrs. Livingston. I was in my school's production of FAME! the musical, and it was a little thank you gift. Her saying is "Always move with speed and purpose!" so we made a song based on that saying.

Here is a copy of our AIM conversation:

RockinAmigo14: what do you think about using an EMU 1212M?
Samuel Ock: for you?
RockinAmigo14: no, i was wondering if you would have any use for it?
Samuel Ock: me?
RockinAmigo14: yeah
Samuel Ock: yes, i would
Samuel Ock: why?
RockinAmigo14: cause a guy on head-fi is giving one away
RockinAmigo14: so before i entered, i was just gonna make sure someone was gonna use it
Samuel Ock: ooo i'll take it
RockinAmigo14: k
RockinAmigo14: i'll enter then
Samuel Ock: does he say what's included
RockinAmigo14: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232402

i hope that's enough proof. I'm sure I can provide more if need be. I really have no use for it, and I like the sound I get out of my speakers just fine.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 55
My current soundcard is a Game Theater XP (similar to TBSC), used with two of my Klipsch PM and my hd580's (sometimes mdr7509). Being at school, I really don't have space for my NS775V (which I prefer) and a legitimate CD collection. I am currently looking into purchasing a MIDI controller or Synth, but the in/out for it on my GTXP no longer works, so I need a new card or keyboard with good USB (which doesn't have the same future flexibility). I'd love to try using it for a guitar input also, and with practice maybe I could mix it with the synth. Performing with it could be sweet, but not too practical with a full desktop

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #24 of 55
I'm currently using computer as source. Onboard soundcard, Creative SB Live series, and using the headphone out of my crappy speakers. Oy vey!

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #25 of 55
hello! i would love to be in contention for the Emu 1212M. as requested, i currently have... *drum roll* nothing! i mostly listen to my audio on my portable music player (1G shuffle and samsung Z5) and through IEM (UM2 and marshmellows!). i had always been into music, and have been playing classical piano and jazz since the age of 4. i have completed the 8th level of the Royal School of Music in London's certification tests, and have competed in regional piano competitions in my younger days.

well, the reason i would like this unit is for a ver personal, and very emotional reason. my grandpa passed away when i was young, after i moved to the states. at the time, without a green card, noone in my family was able to visit him. he supported me financially and emotionally when i was lil lad, so after he passed away, i wanted to do something for him. i began to compose a piece of piano music for him, but being a young kid, i started it but was never able to complete it. fast forward a decade (last october)... my uncle was walking across the st. in nyc when struck by a speeding SVU. he passed away that day, and once again, there is a dark shadow hanging over my family. i sat down at the piano a month later, determined to complete the song i can dedicate to both my grandfather and my uncle.

after 4 month of work, i think i have a completed piece. it is far from a masterpiece, but i believe it accurately reflects how important those two people are to our family and how much they are missed. just 2 weeks ago, i tried recording it onto my computer using the basic line-in and it sounded horrendous. having this unit would allow me to record (hopefully an accurate copy) my piece, and share it with everyone in my family (spread across the country).

thank you very much for your consideration, and gl to everyone!... also, if i am so lucky to recieve this unit, i wouldn't mind using it for my recording purposes, and later on down the line, pass it along to another member who could also put it to great use!

thanks!

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 55
Hopin' you'll count me in as well
smily_headphones1.gif

At work I'm stuck using an old Dell with Harmon/Kardon speakers that don't have the power to work my 650s (or just about any headphones). At home, I feel unable to use a computer cause the sound is so awful (both my macbook and my wife's emachines T6520). As for music, I was a piano major and play piano constantly, using a keyboard since I sold my old upright (built in 1905). I'd love to have the ability to recording decent quality stuff, so if you put me in the drawing I'd be incredibly psyched!

Thanks,
Justin

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #28 of 55
I need the Emu card because quite simply, I'm a serious aspiring musician and can't afford a recording setup OR a source for my headphone setup.

I'm eighteen years old; started piano when I was about six, but quit when I was twelve. Right before my sixteenth birthday, I was sitting in my room listening to my Numark cans (thought they were good at the time) and Rhapsody in Blue came on. Something clicked; as soon as I heard it I knew I had to play that peice no matter how ludicrous it seemed. So, for my sixteenth birthday, I asked for a cheap baby grand piano instead of a crappy car. My parents agreed and the search for a teacher began. By pure chance one day I found a teacher who agreed to teach me Rhapsody in Blue on one condition - that she would get to revamp my entire technique and teacher me theory/sight reading. I agreed, and to my own surprise, six months later I had memorized and performed the complete piano solo of Rhapsody in Blue, as played by Gershwin. No watered down stuff.

A year and a half later, here I am, just accepted into Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music for a piano performance degree. In one year, I learned Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Gershwin, Chopin, Bach, and even more. I put in three to four hours of day practicing and it all paid off. I still can't believe I got into CCM; they accepted 20 out of 250-300 applicants from 16 different countries. And they took me! I have exactly a year and a half of serious training! The odds are too ridiculous to describe.

Which brings me to my next point - I drastically need recording equipment. Right now, I do own a M-audio Audiophile USB. HOWEVER, it has been rendered completely useless thanks to the most bizzare problem I've ever had - every two minutes or so the device starts playing the music out of sync and overlaid with a wonderfully annoying LOUD popping effect. The entire device AND computer has to be rebooted for it to be fixed. So alas, I have resorted to AC97 onboard audio, which is torture for me.

As you probably have noticed, I have great headphones, a great amp, and no source for my computer (where I listen AND record from). I can't even record with the onboard sound; and I need to start producing demo/audition discs badly. So far I have a cheap condensor mic pair and cables, but no source or mic preamp because I can't afford one. Thanks to prom I won't be able to in the future.

Anyway I realize there are a lot of people who could use this card and it is very generous for you to give it away. I also know that if I were to receive the card, it would be used every single day in both a high end headphone rig which gives me tremendous pleasure as well in an ultra-budget recording rig which will hopefully help me jumpstart my career. It will certainly be well used. In fact, I will promise to post a couple of recordings as soon as I get a mic preamp.

No matter who gets it, props for giving it away.

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #30 of 55
Currently I'm using the X-Fi analog output with my T-amp and bookshelf speakers. This would likely be a good upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back