Audio-GD Sparrow or FUN for my Denon D2000s?
May 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

moomooemu

100+ Head-Fier
So right now I have an emu 0404 usb and the headphone output for the headphones is pretty bad. I am looking to upgrade to either one of these units but I am not sure which one. I've heard great things about both but I'm wondering how much of a jump the FUN is from the Sparrow? I've heard the Sparrow is still quite good but simply doesn't have as many features(not as many modules you can try out etc) and thus cost less. Is the price value worth it to get a FUN over the Sparrow?

I don't think I'm really one for trying out different combos and stuff...I just want something that sounds good. 

Also, I heard this and I was wondering how much I should actually be concerned about it

Quote:
Imbalance occurs at the first 30ish degrees of volume increase from minimum, it's normal. If you have very sensitive headphones, like portables and IEM's, you may want to consider asking for a custom lower gain. I think people with 25 ohm, 106 sensitivty D2000 and D5000 are sometimes in the imbalance region at low-medium volume listening, or very close.

Still worth it?

What do you guys think? Which one is better for me. OR should  I get something else???

May 31, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 12
You should only get the FUN if you want to try out the different modules, which you say you do not, or if you ever plan to get a new DAC but not a new amp (The FUN has a line in port, whereas the sparrow does not).

I have not heard the sparrow with the D2000s, but I do have the Sparrow. While there is some channel imbalance when the dial is turned very low, I would say that it's more like the first 15 degrees or so. You probably wouldn't have an issue unless you like to listen at very low volumes. The Sparrow is specifically tuned for a number of headphones including the D2000, so I can't imagine that it's going to be an issue.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 12
Hmm so would I not be able to feed my emu 0404 into it? I don't want to use it as a DAC I just want to use it to record with. It has a lot of inputs....2 Mic/Line/Hi-Z preamplifiers,optical and coaxial S/PDIF, as well as MIDI in/outputs etc.

would that work right? if i wanted to do both? 

or would there be a cheaper way to do this if I want to record + have a good dac/amp?

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 12
Well you could use the optical or coaxial out on your 0404 to the Sparrow, but then the emu wouldn't be working as a DAC, just a digital output. However, the Sparrow is supposed to be a better DAC, so I don't think you'd have a problem.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Oh ok, yeah, exactly that would be perfectly fine then...that is what I want,right? I would still be able to input and record the signal and just send it via optical or coaxial to the sparrow, correct? 

and yea, id be fine without using the emu0404 DAC, ive heard the sparrow is better as well. The main reason why I have the emu is to record. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 12
I've got the FUN for my D2000. Optical or coax sounds more or less the same (I couldn't hear any difference). Any cable will do.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 12
I agree with bar1; I switched back and forth between optical and coaxial quite a bit and couldn't find any difference. I finally settled on coax just so I don't have to worry about breaking the cable.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Like cheeselogo said, audio-gd amps try to keep the D2000 above the channel imbalance zone, however, if someone really likes to listen at very low volumes, or listen to loud rock music, they may be in the channel imbalance zone or close to it. If you use portables or IEM's more sensitive than the D2000, it may be wise to ask for some gain reduction.

Most people here prefer coaxial. Optical has the benefit of galvanic isolation, but has many cons. Generally less price/performance unless you're talking about $100+ cables, attenuation from bending and length, conversion to and from a LED light, glass cables shouldn't be bent too much and avoid scratching the tips. If you use a very power consuming and emf noisy computer as transport, or just like the sound of optical, you may prefer to use optical cable.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 12
The main difference between the Sparrow and Fun is first size and second the ability to run the Fun as just an AMP.  I recently had to device between the two and chose the Fun, mainly so I can use it as just an amp if needed. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Like cheeselogo said, audio-gd amps try to keep the D2000 above the channel imbalance zone, however, if someone really likes to listen at very low volumes, or listen to loud rock music, they may be in the channel imbalance zone or close to it. If you use portables or IEM's more sensitive than the D2000, it may be wise to ask for some gain reduction.

Most people here prefer coaxial. Optical has the benefit of galvanic isolation, but has many cons. Generally less price/performance unless you're talking about $100+ cables, attenuation from bending and length, conversion to and from a LED light, glass cables shouldn't be bent too much and avoid scratching the tips. If you use a very power consuming and emf noisy computer as transport, or just like the sound of optical, you may prefer to use optical cable.

When we order, is there any special language we are supposed to reference? I'm interested in a lower gain option myself. The lowest gain I get on my portable D10 before the imballance occurs is where I do about 80% of my listening.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Your UM3X is 56 ohm 124dB/mW. Let them know you have headphones with those specs and that you want the sparrow or FUN to have a custom gain where your headphones will be above channel imbalance. I don't know the math, but they probably do. Don't worry about a lower gain for your AH-7000. Since sparrow doesn't have a gain switch, getting a custom gain for 56 ohm 124dB/mW may limit your ability to get enough volume for high impedance headphones. I would suggest getting the FUN, lowering the low gain, and keeping the high gain option normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back