Audio-GD Singularity 19
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #121 of 285
Hi Jodokus,

The flat-highs are definitely changing, in my 6-day burn-in time, into a more vivid high.
The overall sound is much more balanced right now.
Still a big improvement, coming from a M1 DAC!

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #122 of 285
Thanks to everyone for the insight and impressions.  I am hesitating between the S19 and the NOS19.  The NOS19 is described in terms that suit what I am looking for : musical, analog, natural.  I listen to a lot of jazz and classical and mostly in 24/96 or 24/192. 
The S19 seems like potentially it should be the best of both worlds with oversampling settings close to the Master 7 (or DAC19 depending on tuning) and a NOS mode that perhaps with a software update could be as good or better than the NOS19.
I guess for me it comes down to having faith that Audio-gd will be able to equal or surpass the 1704 magic in NOS mode in the S19.  Is there any reason to think otherwise?

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #123 of 285
How do you like the SING19 compared to your previous dac?

I plan on comparing my Sabre based PS Audio NuWave DSD Dac with my Sing19 this week.

Over the weekend I have been in contact with Magna Hifi (Re-seller of Audio-GD). They confirmed me Audio-GD have put a lot efforts in re-development of the "traditional R2R" design. Kingwa already explains in earlier posts the technical details. Looks like Kingwa did an excellent job (again). Besides the technical aspects, what I confirm right now is: After a burn-in of several days I the Singularity 19 sounds very fast, calm and transparent.  I will have a listening session in ~2 weeks to do a direct DAC19 / Singularity 19 comparison - will post my results.

The Magna Hifi guys are awesome. They really help me figure out what was going on with my Mano Music streamer (which is really awesome).

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #124 of 285
  Thanks to everyone for the insight and impressions.  I am hesitating between the S19 and the NOS19.  The NOS19 is described in terms that suit what I am looking for : musical, analog, natural.  I listen to a lot of jazz and classical and mostly in 24/96 or 24/192. 
The S19 seems like potentially it should be the best of both worlds with oversampling settings close to the Master 7 (or DAC19 depending on tuning) and a NOS mode that perhaps with a software update could be as good or better than the NOS19.
I guess for me it comes down to having faith that Audio-gd will be able to equal or surpass the 1704 magic in NOS mode in the S19.  Is there any reason to think otherwise?

No reason to think otherwise.  Also, Kingwa has already stated that in the next software upgrade he will be incorporating the NOS software into the S19.  At that point it will be the best of both worlds.  I'd either wait for that to happen, or buy the S19 now at the intro price and be prepared to upgrade it yourself when they offer the new software update.

The DAC-19 is a wonderful DAC, but the S19 is a step above.  At the current price, the S19 is a steal.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #125 of 285
I concur! It will be an interesting next couple of years for Audio-gd. 

The Gumby is about due for an update, shouldn't it be?

On a side note, Abyss.... How are you liking the LCD-XC in comparison to the Eikon? I know, two different headphones in many aspects but just curious. I'm pondering the X/XC or another ZMF. 

Thanks much

-T

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #126 of 285
  The Gumby is about due for an update, shouldn't it be?

gumby is actually newer than the yggy -- i'd bet we're still gonna have a wait a few years.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #127 of 285
On a side note, Abyss.... How are you liking the LCD-XC in comparison to the Eikon? I know, two different headphones in many aspects but just curious. I'm pondering the X/XC or another ZMF. 

Thanks much

-T

They're both excellent closed headphones. Both respond well to more power. Eikon is really comfortable. ZMF house sound with good linearity and great sub bass. Can really crank the volume without hurting my ears. Very good price to performance ratio.

The LCD-XC is heavy, but surprisingly less bulky than the Eikon. Visceral bass impact. They require me to EQ them a bit to deal with a bit of upper-mid resonance, but doable. Sounds insanely good on Audio-gd amps as they have a smooth sound that tames the XC a bit. Both isolate really well. I think the price to performance ratio isn't as good as the Eikon. I chose it over the Ether C though.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #128 of 285
I have the NOS 19 and listen to jazz, classical, acoustic, rock. I can tell you this much, you won't be disappointed with the NOS 19. Incredible sound. Right now I'm listening to the sound track to Twin Peaks, if I close my eyes it almost feels like I'm floating. The thing the really stands out with this DAC is the lack of that digital sound that so many other DACs have. The decay a piano note or a plucked string on the oud of an album by Anour Brahem. It sounds like you are listening to it live. Kingwa did an excellent job on the NOS 19. Unfortunately I can't give you a comparison between it and the S19. Hopefully someone will be able to give a review between it and the NOS 19, not the DAC 19.

Good luck on your pursuit of musical nirvana.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #129 of 285
I have the NOS 19 and listen to jazz, classical, acoustic, rock. I can tell you this much, you won't be disappointed with the NOS 19. Incredible sound. Right now I'm listening to the sound track to Twin Peaks, if I close my eyes it almost feels like I'm floating. The thing the really stands out with this DAC is the lack of that digital sound that so many other DACs have. The decay a piano note or a plucked string on the oud of an album by Anour Brahem. It sounds like you are listening to it live. Kingwa did an excellent job on the NOS 19. Unfortunately I can't give you a comparison between it and the S19. Hopefully someone will be able to give a review between it and the NOS 19, not the DAC 19.

Good luck on your pursuit of musical nirvana.
a million thumbs up for you. thanks.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #130 of 285
They're both excellent closed headphones. Both respond well to more power. Eikon is really comfortable. ZMF house sound with good linearity and great sub bass. Can really crank the volume without hurting my ears. Very good price to performance ratio.

The LCD-XC is heavy, but surprisingly less bulky than the Eikon. Visceral bass impact. They require me to EQ them a bit to deal with a bit of upper-mid resonance, but doable. Sounds insanely good on Audio-gd amps as they have a smooth sound that tames the XC a bit. Both isolate really well. I think the price to performance ratio isn't as good as the Eikon. I chose it over the Ether C though.

Nice, thanks for the input! Do you find the Eikon to have the same ability to reproduce string instruments as well as the Omni/Ori? I'm still amazed at those headphones. 

Have you tried other jumper settings on the S19 yet? Apologies if I missed in prior comments. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #132 of 285

Nice, thanks for the input! Do you find the Eikon to have the same ability to reproduce string instruments as well as the Omni/Ori? I'm still amazed at those headphones. 

Have you tried other jumper settings on the S19 yet? Apologies if I missed in prior comments. 

I feel that Eikon does really well with string instruments.  

No other jumper settings tried with the S19 yet.  I think I'm going to focus on that this week.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #133 of 285

I feel that Eikon does really well with string instruments.  

No other jumper settings tried with the S19 yet.  I think I'm going to focus on that this week.

Eikon definitely has a lot of weight behind it's sound. It does a lot of things really well that you wouldn't think go together. That being said it's still a tad too bassy/warm for my tastes.

Jumpers are a pain to change where they're positioned. Well, at least with my meat paws. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #134 of 285
Nice, the Omni sure does kick ass and I'm sure the Eikon does too. Maybe someday. 

Question about NOS dacs such as the NOS-19.....

What sample rate should you set within Windows, even though the DAC does no oversampling? Under playback devices - Properties - Advanced. Or doesn't it matter at all? Spotify premium 320kbps/Tidal Hifi 99% of the time here. CD quality 44100 from what I understand, but what bit rate (depth?)?

I've always wondered this....

Thanks

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #135 of 285
Bit depth isn't as important as the sampling rate, set it to 24 if you use system volume control at a setting less than 100%, if the volume is maxed 16 should be ok if it's even an option. The bummer with the Windows Spotify app and maybe Tidal as well they cannot bypass Windows mixer which is known to do some nasty resampling. Google ASIO Bridge, if your DAC doesn't have an ASIO driver there's ASIO4All.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back