Audio GD Reference 9
Nov 16, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #91 of 103
Well I hope my Ref 9 is still coming. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and Kingwa said it would be shipped out today, the 15th. I emailed him this weekend though to ask if it was still on schedule, but he never responded (he always had before). I HOPE there aren't any problems!

-Daniel

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #92 of 103

Quote:
OQvist,

Knowing what you know now about the Ref 9 as well as other options, will you order this again if you hadn't?  I'm still on the fence between Ref 9, Ref 5 and NFB1.

Thanks in advance,

Kenobi

No regrets here. If there was a fire I would maybe try to look for a DAC that does it all. The BD83SE is quite close and it offer bluray, SACD support and what not for the same amount of money.

Next generation bluray players seem more versatile in their networking capabilities as well as several starting to support FLAC and such. But at the moment the Ref9 is just what the doctor ordered for the LCD-2 and ED 8 which is the only gear I really care about these days. The Ref9 have a bit much sub bass for my speakers need to equalize a bit. But the ED 8 is lacking in the sub bass department and I don´t feel the LCD-2 suffer anything by it. That is the biggest difference compared to the 83se and I do miss it there. It just get a bit to flat. The Ref9 has a bit more drive and attack then the 83se mainly.

Another big plus with the Ref 9 was that my tube amp is now VERY enjoyable with the LCD-2 again. My DAC19 made me believe my tube amp was underpowering the LCD-2 but that was apparently not the case. Not to the degree it felt like it did anyway.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #93 of 103
Thank you for the update oqvist.  Unfortunately, the Ref 9 along with other utilizing the 1704 are no longer available.  So, I'll have to look at the NFB-1 now instead.

Daniel: I do hope you got your order in on time for them to build what could be the very last piece of this DAC.

Best regards,

Kenobi

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #94 of 103

Quote:
Thank you for the update oqvist.  Unfortunately, the Ref 9 along with other utilizing the 1704 are no longer available.  So, I'll have to look at the NFB-1 now instead.

Daniel: I do hope you got your order in on time for them to build what could be the very last piece of this DAC.

Best regards,

Kenobi

The REF5, 7 and 8 are still under production... It´s just REF9 and DAC19-DSP that were cancelled.

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #95 of 103
vrln,

Thanks for the correction and good news.  So, now its between the Ref 5 and the NFB1....

Kenobi

Quote:
Quote:

Best regards,

Kenobi

The REF5, 7 and 8 are still under production... It´s just REF9 and DAC19-DSP that were cancelled.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #96 of 103
UPDATE:

Audio gd emailed me back today and said they are burning in my Reference 9 in right now, and expect to ship it this weekend! If all goes well I hope to have it by next weekend.

-Daniel

Quote:

Best regards,

Kenobi

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #97 of 103
Daniel,

That is good news indeed.  Please let us know how you like it once have it in your system.  I can only be an envious spectator now that its no longer available.  Looking at the NFB-1 as an option now.

Best regards,

Kenobi

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #98 of 103
Can someone tell me where I will want the volume setting on the Ref 9 to be? I'll be running it from Windows Zune software via either coaxial or toslink, and into the Concerto. Am I correct in assuming I want both the computer and Ref 9 at max, then only adjusting the Concerto?

-Daniel

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #99 of 103

Quote:
Can someone tell me where I will want the volume setting on the Ref 9 to be? I'll be running it from Windows Zune software via either coaxial or toslink, and into the Concerto. Am I correct in assuming I want both the computer and Ref 9 at max, then only adjusting the Concerto?

-Daniel

The Ref9 has no volume setting.  The knob is for input selection.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #101 of 103

Quote:
Well I'm an idiot. Guess that makes it easier! Thanks iPodPJ.

-Daniel

No, you're not an idiot, you just didn't know.

But yes, you should leave your software volume set to the maximum if you want to achieve bit-perfect playback.
If you were using an external transport/streamer, like a Logitech Squeezebox or Transporter, you can attenuate by -24dB to -32dB (depending on the model) without any loss of signal because of the resolution (and thus dynamic range) of the DAC.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #102 of 103

dukja said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder how many headfiers had Ref-9.  I had a feeling that it is quite less than Ref-1/7 owner.  Would you Ref-9 owner kindly enough to share your impression?

I am interested in Ref-9 for my SE tube amp (CSP2+), but worry that the diamond output stage may "sweet up" the sound too much.  I am very happy with sound of Ref-1 and CSP2+, but hate to waste Ref-1's full capability (balanced ACSS to Phoenix).

@ Regal

Would you please share your comparison between Ref-1 and DAC3SE since Ref-9 is a upgrade from it?  (or point me to the post if you have done it)  Many thanks!

Thanks for your instruction! It's quite useful, This is what I'm looking for.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #103 of 103

Quote:
I would check with Kingwa,   but going by the shematics on his webpage he is hand matching the transistors in the Re8 to eliminate the opamp servo,  while the ref9 shows the servo.Going from an Re1 to an Re9 may be a risk.  There was a post where someone had both the Re7 and the RE8 and he sold his Re7, preferring the Re8.  The Re8 is really their flagship,  I would have bought one but I think I am preferring the zero NFB analog stage of the RE1.  It is very much like the famous current steering Jocko Homo I/V    Do you still have the RE1 ?

OK, someone just sent me this link. Not sure why. But anyway........

Based on what I see, it is nothing like my "current-steering" I/V stage. Unless, of course, I am looking at the wrong schematic.

Just thought I would clear that up, in case anyone cares. (Obviously, one person did.)

JH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back