Audio GD Reference 9
Oct 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 103
I would check with Kingwa,   but going by the shematics on his webpage he is hand matching the transistors in the Re8 to eliminate the opamp servo,  while the ref9 shows the servo.Going from an Re1 to an Re9 may be a risk.  There was a post where someone had both the Re7 and the RE8 and he sold his Re7, preferring the Re8.  The Re8 is really their flagship,  I would have bought one but I think I am preferring the zero NFB analog stage of the RE1.  It is very much like the famous current steering Jocko Homo I/V    Do you still have the RE1 ?

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #17 of 103
Did you mean that "while the ref9 shows the servo"?  I guess that was a typo but would like to make sure.

Quote:
I would check with Kingwa,   but going by the shematics on his webpage he is hand matching the transistors in the Re8 to eliminate the opamp servo,  while the ref8 shows the servo.

I read your post about regarding Ref-8 as the true flagship before and was intrigued by it.  Could you PM me the headfier who preferred Ref-8 over 7 if he doesn't mind?

And I think my Ref-1 will not go anywhere (maybe V5, still hesitate)
biggrin.gif
  Sorry for the off topic.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 103
I also want to purchase a Reference 8 or 9 to go with a Decware amp before it is too late. I also had settled on the Reference 9 due to having no need for balanced output. Now I am unsure as well. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 103

U are using a tube amp. Y do u still need a musical Ref 9? U might be better with Ref 5 if u are not going balanced
Quote:
I wonder how many headfiers had Ref-9.  I had a feeling that it is quite less than Ref-1/7 owner.  Would you Ref-9 owner kindly enough to share your impression?

I am interested in Ref-9 for my SE tube amp (CSP2+), but worry that the diamond output stage may "sweet up" the sound too much.  I am very happy with sound of Ref-1 and CSP2+, but hate to waste Ref-1's full capability (balanced ACSS to Phoenix).

@ Regal

Would you please share your comparison between Ref-1 and DAC3SE since Ref-9 is a upgrade from it?  (or point me to the post if you have done it)  Many thanks!

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 103
I really can't say.    The more I compare the 3SE vs the RE1 the more I lean toward the 3SE.  But I suspect the reason is the PMD100 vs the DSP-1.   The RE1 does a better job with the rythm section,   but stringed instruments I'm afraid aren't as accurate on the RE1, as the 3SE captures the full tonal accuracy. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #23 of 103
Where are those generally located? There was two holes which I used to order my Ref 9 with an extra set of RCA connections. It´s between the two stock RCA outputs. I suppose there aren´t any holes if you don´t order the Ref9 with an extra set of RCAs?

Oct 17, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 103
I don't specifically need an Audio-gd "musical" DAC but a single-ended DAC.  It just happen that all Audio-gd's SE DAC are "muscical".  If Kingwa has a cheaper SE version of Ref7.  I would go for it.

BTW, Ref5 is balanced.  I would rather get Ref-7 if I don't care if it is balanced DAC and spend some extra money.
Quote:
U are using a tube amp. Y do u still need a musical Ref 9? U might be better with Ref 5 if u are not going balanced

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 103
Watch out: RE-7S is not single ended DAC - it is RE-7 with single input (RCA or BNC; you can use only one at a time).

You can see balanced and (full) ACSS outputs on the back of RE-7S.

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #28 of 103
dukja, dac19dsp/dac19df, nfb-2, and nfb-3 (limited promo) are the neutral single-ended dedicated dac's.

fdhfdydgd, no there is no holes.

oqvist, that's not what he's referring to.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #29 of 103

Quote:
I would check with Kingwa,   but going by the shematics on his webpage he is hand matching the transistors in the Re8 to eliminate the opamp servo,  while the ref9 shows the servo.Going from an Re1 to an Re9 may be a risk.  There was a post where someone had both the Re7 and the RE8 and he sold his Re7, preferring the Re8.  The Re8 is really their flagship,  I would have bought one but I think I am preferring the zero NFB analog stage of the RE1.  It is very much like the famous current steering Jocko Homo I/V    Do you still have the RE1 ?

Can anybody verify this?

If true, it might be worth for me to buy the Reference 8 even for SE use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back