Audio GD R8HE mk2 vs Schiit Yggdrasil
Oct 23, 2022 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jarvincassidy

New Head-Fier
So I've just moved my Audio GD R27, which is essentially an R8(non HE) + a Master 19 headphone amp/preamp, into my speaker setup, which is a Proac DT8 and a Moon 250i in a medium sized room with some light room treatment. So far it's been great, dynamics are just right, while timbre is excellent. Also, the soundstage presentation is deep enough while having a convincing enough image separation. I also tried the chord qutest on this setup, and it's pretty good, giving better image separation, while creating comparatively smaller images in a flatter soundstage. Timbre was overall better on the R27 though.

Since the R27 has a built in headphone amp that's also pretty good, I was hoping to return it into my headphone rig. Which leads me to look into replacing it with something else on my main speaker rig. If i had to look for anything in the R27, i would want a bit more clarity and image separation while maintaining the accurate timbral presentation, also it could do with a bit more slam and snap. Can anyone give an opinion between the 2 DACs? or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 2
The R8 MK2 (I don't have the HE version, it was not available when I bought mine) is a fantastic end-game DAC probably until the rest of your system gets to High End status. It supports DSD512 and PCM up to 32/384 KHz, while the schiiter does PCM 24/192 and no DSD.

If I look at the build, the R8 is much stouter, and the HE power supply is a known-fantastic design and implementation. Without having heard the yggy, I don't imagine it's in the same ballpark as the R8 MK2 HE. If you like the Audio-gd R2R house sound, the R8 is a no-brainer.

1668371789069.png

1668371800367.png

Also, take a look in the thread here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...hip-resistor-ladder-dacs-and-dac-amps.853902/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back