Audio-GD NFB-3 with Millet MiniMax or MOSFET-Max
Nov 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

storrgie

Head-Fier
Greetings everyone.

I am very new here, but have spent my last several days reading and reading about the various components available in the price range that I am interested in. This would be my first foray into higher end products and would very much like some advice.

I have a pair of AKG702, and my roomates all have their own fun cans (HD650, GS1000, AKG701, DT880)

My main concern is that the AKG 70x line is quite 'analytical' and 'bright' ...not nearly as warm as the DT880/990 and HD650. I would like to have a moderate balance on the sound, and hope that a tube amplifier will bring that out in these cans.

I plan on ordering the NFB-3 from Audio-GD and while at home pairing that with a miniMax or MOSFET-Max build, While travelling I would pair the NFB-3 with my Mini3 build.

I would like some comments on this combination, obviously I would like to spend less than 6-700$ on this entire setup, I already own the Mini3 but am about to spring for the NFB-3 and Millet components.

I listen on linux machine using mpd, I don't think this will be a problem for most USB DACs... but I will need USB as a laptop will be used during travel.

Reference:
Audio-GD NFB-3 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-2/NFB2EN.htm)
Millet MiniMax (http://www.diyforums.org/MiniMAX/MiniMAXoverview.php)
Millet MOSFET-Max (http://www.diyforums.org/MOSFET-MAX/MOSFET-MAXoverview.php)

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 6
I cant tell you about the dac you choose (I was using a ultra micro dac) but I used my k701s with my Millett Max with great results. Adds a some warmth and bass without muddying the k701 sound up. Mids become more smooth if thats possible. 

(If you're looking for a deal on one I am selling my boutique millett max full of cardas components in the amplification for sale section 
wink_face.gif
)

Dave

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 6
You do not, I repeat, do not want to use the NFB-3 while traveling.

width 240mm, height 80mm and depth 300mm. (with feet)

9.5"x3.2"x12".

sparrow is more reasonable: Width 159mm, height 42mm and depth 165mm.(With feet)

NFB-11/12 is longer than sparrow: Width 159mm, height 42mm and depth 225mm.(With feet)

If you are afraid of brightness definitely go wm8741 dac chip, then if still too bright mod around to try to lower brightness. I would recommend a recable before trying out new amp or dac.

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 6
I have the MiniMAX. It is very good and people say it has very good synergy with the K701. The problem is that MiniMAX does not sound tubey and it does not tame brightness. I think it's quite neutral. I have not compared it to other DACs but the simple fact it has very good synergy with the Sennheiser HD6x0 cans (and I have HD580 and agree with this) which have darkish sound should suggest it does not tame highs.:wink: At least not with the Sylvania tubes I am using right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back