Audio-gd NFB-29 as a pre-amp
May 6, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #18 of 27
So in the UI (assuming there is a UI) you can set one RCA out individually as fixed and one as variable? That sounds good yes.

I don't mind whether the amps are big or small.

I think it comes down to this: At the same costs, will an Int amp or a HP-dac/amp have better DAC?
(I think DAC's probably only make a v. small difference but still I want the best setup for my money)

May 6, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #19 of 27
So in the UI (assuming there is a UI) you can set one RCA out individually as fixed and one as variable? That sounds good yes.

NFB291.JPG

NFB29.jpg

I think it comes down to this: At the same costs, will an Int amp or a HP-dac/amp have better DAC?
(I think DAC's probably only make a v. small difference but still I want the best setup for my money)

I wouldn't really put much into that unless I'm comparing a very basic DAC or I get to compare them. And surprise, specs don't really help, because my Meier Cantate.2's PCM2702 16/44.1 USB DAC (and normally this chip is used only as the USB receiver chip) DAC daughterboard was better than the screwed up soundstage on a Cambridge 340C as well as the warm to the point of nasal Rega Saturn.

So while the differences won't be huge, it's hard to know for sure anyway. If anything though DAC-HPamp units tend to have more complex DAC circuits than the average integrated amp with DAC or receiver. The NFB-29 has their Diamon Differential or whatever kind of circuit on the analogue output stage, which is what actually matters, not the DAC chip itself.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #20 of 27
Looks like in the new NFB-29 there's just a button on the back to switch between fixed and variable. I guess it's switching all of the rear outputs to fixed or variable. Or are some outputs pre-defined as fixed or variable and the button just chooses which outputs are active.. Like if I have two rca outs plugged in I don't know how to choose which is active of the two (ie. stax or power amp)

I noticed I instead could get a PCM1704UK Singularity 19 and a C-2 amp (audio-gd) but this would cost a lot more.
Ha-1 doesn't really appeal.

May 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 27
Looks like in the new NFB-29 there's just a button on the back to switch between fixed and variable.

What button?
NFB2914.JPG

I guess it's switching all of the rear outputs to fixed or variable. Or are some outputs pre-defined as fixed or variable and the button just chooses which outputs are active.. Like if I have two rca outs plugged in I don't know how to choose which is active of the two (ie. stax or power amp)

From what I understand all are set as either fixed or variable. You're not going to use the Stax and the speaker with power amp simultaneously, set it fixed when you use the Stax and variable when you use the speakers.

May 7, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #22 of 27
I think that's the button under input 4 on this link:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29.38/NFB29H4.JPG

Also - considering the NFB-28 - I have no idea if I'll ever bother with balanced -> headphones. Though having xlr pre outs would be good -> compatible stax amp.

Another thing is in future I'm going to have a subwoofer complementing my speakers. Could I use the Second RCA out on the NFB-29 for a subwoofer pre? And at the same time as using the first RCA for speakers..

If so, that's something I couldn't as easily do on the NFB-28

May 7, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #23 of 27
I think that's the button under input 4 on this link:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29.38/NFB29H4.JPG

Is that an actual button that activates anything? Could just be a plug - in the pic I posted there's another input on there. Maybe they had many of the predrilled chassis, or it's some kind of option.

Another thing is in future I'm going to have a subwoofer complementing my speakers. Could I use the Second RCA out on the NFB-29 for a subwoofer pre? And at the same time as using the first RCA for speakers..

You can ask AudioGD if all rear outputs can output simultaneously. If they do, then it should work.

May 8, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 27
May 10, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #27 of 27
I have a NFB-28, and I use it as both a headphone amplifier, and a preamp. I have an R2R dac that I like to use, so I input that in to the NFB-28. From there I have balanced output I send to my KGSSHV. That way I can listen to the best of both worlds with my Stax rig also. There is a button on the back of the amp that allows for the line out not to be variable, but you do still have to worry about pushing the gain button on the front of the amp. If you want you can regulate the volume on the NFB-29 if you want, just depress the button. It works very well for me. I would just have you use the NFB-29 as a preamp with the fixed line out button pushed in, and hook it up to your Power-amp.

Is the NFB-28 good as a single-ended amplifier? I know it's less power as SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back