Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #797 of 4,451
  The Hynes can be added down the line, right? Just go stock first and save $$ imo-upgrade if needed. BTW-too lazy here-but what's the efficiency of those MMM1s?

-Daniel

I just don't think that Hynes will make a difference at all since its for the HDMI output and I would be using the regular i2s output.

They are 6 ohms with 87db efficiency

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #798 of 4,451

I just don't think that Hynes will make a difference at all since its for the HDMI output and I would be using the regular i2s output.

They are 6 ohms with 87db efficiency

Going off of a quote on the website:

"If you want the HDMI I2S or RJ-45 I2S output to be improved, add the HDMI Hynes Reg option"

So it seems like the upgrade effects both. http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #799 of 4,451

Going off of a quote on the website:

"If you want the HDMI I2S or RJ-45 I2S output to be improved, add the HDMI Hynes Reg option"

So it seems like the upgrade effects both. http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter

I should probably read the fine print better next time
redface.gif
thanks for the headsup...Ill have to snag that hynes regulator upgrade then

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #800 of 4,451
The only problem I am having is that USB converters seem to have gotten to the point where you can select them based on personal preference instead of ultimate performance. I have read comparisons on headfi where users have preferred Audio GDS USB 32 to the Audiophilio 2. I have read, most notably from computer audiophile.com poster Elberoth, that the Audiophilio 2 is better than the OR5. I have read that the M2Tech stack beats the Audiophilio 2 but in the same thread read how someone thought the OR5 was better than the M2Tech stack. Then I heard the Berkeley USB was king but read how someone thought the OR4 was better.

Lol :confused:

None of that should matter to me since I am only considering the OR5 because it has a I2S output. So I am either going to stay put or buy a OR5.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #802 of 4,451
The only problem I am having is that USB converters seem to have gotten to the point where you can select them based on personal preference instead of ultimate performance. I have read comparisons on headfi where users have preferred Audio GDS USB 32 to the Audiophilio 2. I have read, most notably from computer audiophile.com poster Elberoth, that the Audiophilio 2 is better than the OR5. I have read that the M2Tech stack beats the Audiophilio 2 but in the same thread read how someone thought the OR5 was better than the M2Tech stack. Then I heard the Berkeley USB was king but read how someone thought the OR4 was better.

Yeah, best to listen. But honestly, the Audiophilleo1 (no PurePower) did not do anything with the PWD2. In fact, it made things a tiny bit worse. Out-of-focus, less clear, flatter dynamically, more boring, softer. I've heard the AP1 does better with the PurePower, but by then, the owner of the unit was pissed off about having to spend another X amount with no guarantee of it being sounding better. Also tried the Audiophilleo1 with the Schiit Gungir, and the results were inconclusive compared to the Gungnir's built-in USB. I do have to admit that am I biased against cheesy LCD screens which display all sorts of nonsensical data, so take that into account.

One other unit an i2s output is the the hiFace Evo. With the additional external PS and Evo wordclock generator, it sounds really good on paper, but I haven't heard it. That may be worth checking out.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #803 of 4,451
The hiFace Evo only costs 1/5 of the OR2.
blink.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #808 of 4,451
  I have nfb-8, master-7 would be a big upgrade?

Master series is far superior than the NFB series, which even the Reference series cannot match.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #809 of 4,451
  I have nfb-8, master-7 would be a big upgrade?

Yes. The Master 7 is much better. I found the NFB8 overly warm and bloated. The master 7 is lovely.

The nfb9 was a big step up on the nfb8.

The nfb8 was the only full sized dac that a-g have made that I really disliked.

regards

Macrog

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #810 of 4,451

From his comments, I understood he likes it as much as his PWD1-2 (as a side grade).
Their different approach to sound reproduction make them quite complimentary.

I've since changed by mind after being able to find more time to just relax and listen without the pressure of evaluating stuff. The AGD M7 is definitely an upgrade. In terms of technicalities, the AGD M7 equals and in most cases exceeds those of my current reference, the PWD2.

I am astounded by the resolution and clarity of the AGD while still being able to provide a certain "warmth", even though it's not a warm, but rather neutral sounding DAC, if that makes any sense. The bass quality is out of this world. Tactile, textured, amazing pitch definition. Mids and treble are too. I only mention bass because some high-end DACs resort to a warmer or fatter bass to artificially enhance smoothness or provide a vinyl-like liquid sound. There's no much nonsense with the M7. No tricks. It's the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back