Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Dec 15, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #4,141 of 4,451
I have done more listening to the M7S with Asy_P2_dsdclk firmware over the weekend. For overall perceived volume, the Asy_P2_dsdclk firmware is about 1.5 dB less loud comparing to the V3A firmware, as I have to turn up the volume of my Master-1 preamp 2 step for the same perceived loudness. For bass, I have to add 0.5dB at 100Hz, 1dB at 35Hz to the EQ curve for my speaker setup. For the EQ curves of my headphones, in general I have to subtract 0.5 in the mid-range 400Hz to 1kHz frequency range. With these EQs, the FR of the Asy_P2_dsdclk becomes just about perfect.

The asyn firmware is indeed very good. I can hear details I have not heard before. I believe the asyn firmware also makes upgrading the built-in Amanero XOs not needed anymore as those are for MCLK output. (I see the DI20 amanero input circuit does not have the two MCLK XOs)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #4,142 of 4,451
Kingwa's newest asynchronous parallel processing firmware is the best yet for the Singularity version of the Master 7. Makes the R7 and now the S7 w. Accuslilicon XOs sing like never before. OS 8x hasn't sounded this good since V3A. NOS (one mode) is great as well. This firmware supports optical input on IN4.

You can find the latest firmware (R7tda_Asy_P2_dsdclk.jic) here... https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

For Singularity S7s or M7Ss Not compatible with the older M7 DSP. Same DSP jumpers as Asy3 firmware. See the .htm and .jpg for new DSP jumper guide that applies when loading this firmware..

I have the M7S in its "original" form, that is, direct order from Kingwa and not a modded/upgraded version, bought in May 2017.

Can this firmware be installed? Do I need any hardware mod? Is the firmware update reversible?

I also saw the notice on Audio-gd website saying those M7S bought after some date has updated firmware. But I can't find any firmware download in their website. I supposed it's factory update and not meant to be done by end-user?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #4,143 of 4,451
I have the M7S in its "original" form, that is, direct order from Kingwa and not a modded/upgraded version, bought in May 2017.

Can this firmware be installed? Do I need any hardware mod? Is the firmware update reversible?

I also saw the notice on Audio-gd website saying those M7S bought after some date has updated firmware. But I can't find any firmware download in their website. I supposed it's factory update and not meant to be done by end-user?

Yes, you can install the latest firmware. Just check if your optical input is IN4 or another to chooe the right version of firmware. To get the max benefit of the Asyn parallel processing firmware, you need to have the Accusilcon XOs though. With the stock TCXO, you may be better off with the "classic" V3S or V3A firmwares.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #4,144 of 4,451
Yes, you can install the latest firmware. Just check if your optical input is IN4 or another to chooe the right version of firmware. To get the max benefit of the Asyn parallel processing firmware, you need to have the Accusilcon XOs though. With the stock TCXO, you may be better off with the "classic" V3S or V3A firmwares.
How to check my current firmware and where to get the V3S/V3A firmware?

Also, better off as in?

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #4,146 of 4,451
@samuelboy The other three files are two preliminary versions and another called "DoP'. "DoP" is what is currently shipping on the R2R DACs.

The V3 versions may be a better place for you to start your firmware upgrade experience. But no harm trying others. Be advised the DSP jumper mapping changes on these later versions.

Kingwa now lists firmware updates that remain relevant. Look for the grouping "R-7 ,R2R7,R7HE and R2R7HE (Optical on IN4)".
http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmwaredownload.htm

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #4,147 of 4,451
@samuelboy The other three files are two preliminary versions and another called "DoP'. "DoP" is what is currently shipping on the R2R DACs.

The V3 versions may be a better place for you to start your firmware upgrade experience. But no harm trying others. Be advised the DSP jumper mapping changes on these later versions.

Kingwa now lists firmware updates that remain relevant. Look for the grouping "R-7 ,R2R7,R7HE and R2R7HE (Optical on IN4)".
http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmwaredownload.htm

I see. Thanks a lot! There are no jumpers in the S1-S7 pins. I left it as is. I suppose that would yield 8x OS as per original setting.

The M7S is fed by SU-6. Unfortunately I did not do a before-after listening to try detecting changes, but I do like what I'm listening now. One thing I did notice... previous firmware, when "cold start" play from Foobar, I will lose 1-2 seconds before the sound comes in. But now it doesn't have this loss anymore. There is still a slight pause but the music starts from 0.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #4,149 of 4,451
Now I am considering the new clocks :)

You definitely should. I thought the V3A was end game and did not do the Accusilcon upgrade work even after making the purchase. The result just makes me think how lazy I was.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #4,150 of 4,451
@samuelboy Correct... even with the remapping no jumpers is default OS 8x.

It only gets better with each progressive upgrade to this DAC. The Accusilicons are a major game changer. No one has stated they like to old XOs better. Enjoy!

Install a 10pin DSP JTAG header extension cable out the rear of the unit. Allows you to reprogram without removing the top cover. One of my favorite tweaks of the past year .The HDMI I2S adapter connector that has enough space for the cable to pass through the gap..

R7 _JTAG_ExtCable.jpg

R7 _JTAG_ExtCable2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #4,151 of 4,451
@samuelboy Correct... even with the remapping no jumpers is default OS 8x.

It only gets better with each progressive upgrade to this DAC. The Accusilicons are a major game changer. No one has stated they like to old XOs better. Enjoy!

Install a 10pin DSP JTAG header extension cable out the rear of the unit. Allows you to reprogram without removing the top cover. One of my favorite tweaks of the past year .The HDMI I2S adapter connector that has enough space for the cable to pass through the gap..

Nice.... btw, is there any sonic difference/upgrade for the asyn dsdclk firmware over the V3A with the original TCXO?

Also, pardon me, very long thread here and not sure if it was shared before... what does it take to upgrade to the Accusilicon? Any soldering required? Where to buy them and estimated cost? Is it plug and play without the need for any setting changes?

You really got me tempted!

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #4,152 of 4,451
Firmware beyond V3 operate asynchronously and affects I2S mostly (I think). V3 and below take I2S Master CLK as the timing reference. The asynchronous firmware(s) don’t use MCLK. DSDCLk and DoP versions introduce parallel processing instead of serial processing of the DSP data. And there are changes to filtering (NOS) and other sonic benefits along the way. And major DSD improvement which doesn’t apply to the PCM only DACs. And seems SPDIF and AES/EBU has improved with the very latest firmware.

Takes some serious skills and experience to swap out the XOs. To do it right the main PCB needs to be lifted and the old XOs removed and the new soldered down. Needs to be done correctly. You can order from Kingwa. About $30US each or $85 US with shipping/ fee (for two XOs) is what I paid in March 2019.

No right or wrong... use what sounds best to you! That is the beauty of it all.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #4,153 of 4,451
I recently got a Master 7 (2016 version - non singularity) which I use together the DI20 interface connected via HDMI (I2S). I wanted to know what is the best procedure to bring this DAC to NOS by acting on the jumpers. I read both the instructions on the AudioGD site and some posts on the net but this only confused my ideas because they are often conflicting. Would you please tell me what is the procedure to follow? Which one do you use?
Thanks a lot
Alessandro

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #4,154 of 4,451
Firmware beyond V3 operate asynchronously and affects I2S mostly (I think). V3 and below take I2S Master CLK as the timing reference. The asynchronous firmware(s) don’t use MCLK. DSDCLk and DoP versions introduce parallel processing instead of serial processing of the DSP data. And there are changes to filtering (NOS) and other sonic benefits along the way. And major DSD improvement which doesn’t apply to the PCM only DACs. And seems SPDIF and AES/EBU has improved with the very latest firmware.

Takes some serious skills and experience to swap out the XOs. To do it right the main PCB needs to be lifted and the old XOs removed and the new soldered down. Needs to be done correctly. You can order from Kingwa. About $30US each or $85 US with shipping/ fee (for two XOs) is what I paid in March 2019.

No right or wrong... use what sounds best to you! That is the beauty of it all.

Ok looks like I will have to give the XOs a miss as I have no soldering expertise to tap on. Shall continue to enjoy the M7S as it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back