Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,452 of 4,451
I am having trouble confirming a good USB Blaster connection. The Ebay Altera USB Blaster shows up in windows Device Manager as working and Quartus 12.1 hardware setup apparently recognizes the USB Blaster and local server but the “Test JTAG Chain” option returns a no device connected error. I could not locate output_file.jic

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3,454 of 4,451
Are there break in time for the new software?

Almost all components which make up an audio system require break-in but I am confident new software requires no break-in time. Other no break-in upgrades include replacement headphone head-bands, new equipment stands, your favourite chair (unless you are listening via speakers). Am I missing anything?

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #3,455 of 4,451
  I am having trouble confirming a good USB Blaster connection. The Ebay Altera USB Blaster shows up in windows Device Manager as working and Quartus 12.1 hardware setup apparently recognizes the USB Blaster and local server but the “Test JTAG Chain” option returns a no device connected error. I could not locate output_file.jic

Verify the connection orientation on the JTAG header inside the DAC.  If it is reverse you will fail the JTAG chain test.  The "out_file.jic" file is for example only and does not exist when installing the Altera SW. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,456 of 4,451
  Hi All,

My DAC is an early Ref 7.1 without Amanero (DigiHub USB)

My opinions of the upgrade are as follows:
1) Bass - TOO MUCH bass and now booming. Feels fatiguing after about 40mins. Like a subwoofere level too high.
2) As a result of the bass, lower mids seems to be hidden. Middle mids (ie. vocals) seems very forward and narrow soundstage.
3) Treble - very sharp (and piercing when listening to opera)

Seems DAC is now equalised to a "W" which represent the 3 peaks with very deep valleys where sound is lost.

NOS mode (ie. both jumpers on) gets confused in complex music. E.g. Paul Anka & Celine Dion voice is inseparable in parts when both singing in "It's Hard to Say Goodbye".

I much preferred the prev firmware. Switching A/B with Gustard X20 reveal much more micro detail and a more balanced soundstage.

In one sentence, this firmware makes my system sound like a Bose Home Theatre demo at the shops.

Done the upgrade yesterday and it sound terrible bright and sharp. The analog magic sounding is gone with this update.
Digital sound and vocal too much forward, the rest of the instruments disappear.   

1. disagree, feel that the bass is the same, but tighter. 
2. agree
3. agree
Equalizer @ W: agree

Think twice before "upgrading" the powerful and analog sounding Master 7. 

Will install the old software again.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #3,457 of 4,451
Reboot your DAC.
If it doesn't work, reboot you ears.

In all seriousness, it might take a while for people to adjust to the cleaner/tighter sound. It IS technically more accurate, by a mile.
Now, if people tuned their system around the gooey and warm sound of the original M7 (or worse, the Reference 7), there will be a shift in tonality towards slightly brighter.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3,458 of 4,451
  Reboot your DAC.

In all seriousness, it might take a while for people to adjust to the cleaner/tighter sound. It IS technically more accurate, by a mile.
Now, if people tuned their system around the gooey and warm sound of the original M7 (or worse, the Reference 7), there will be a shift in tonality towards slightly brighter.

why is brighter better?

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,459 of 4,451
  why is brighter better?

I didn't mean to say brighter is better. I meant to say that this upgrade made it better on all technical accounts. Since the original model was fuzzy and gooey in the bass (less so than the Reference 7, but still gooey no matter how you look at it), the improvement in timing accuracy in the FPGA removed some of that warmth to the sound.

People get used to a new sound tuning, eventually. So any improvement to the technical aspect of the DAC is welcomed, even if it is accompanied with a slight change in tuning.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,460 of 4,451
I have had the firmware update done to my Reference 5.32  2 days ago. I notice the improvements are timing, imaging and sound stage, but no difference in warm/brightness/dynamic aspects of the sound signature.

After the upgrade, the music notes are more "spread out" from one another. So for some people it might appear brighter because the "treble note" you focus on stands out more obviously. But if one instead focus on "bass note", the firmware upgrade would make the DAC sounds warmer as well.

That's why some people think their DAC is more "dynamic" sounding, both brighter and warmer, after the firmware upgrade. But once you have listened more, you will find there is really no change to warm/brightness/dynamic.

I find with the new firmware, 4x oversampling mode sounds very much like the 8x oversampling mode of the old firmware (i.e. more congested sound). So for people who does not like the new firmware 8x oversampling sound, they may want to try 4x oversampling or even 2x oversampling mode before downgrading again.

IMO, the improvement of timing, imaging and sound stage of the new firmware is really huge. Not worth going back to the old firmware just for the "congested" sound signature. Do try 4x or 2x oversampling mode first.

10 knife blades are sharper when they are spread out instead of stacking together.
10 cotton balls are softer when they are spread out  instead of being squeezed together.

I meanly have been listening to my speaker setup after the firmware upgrade. The improvements are more obvious on a speaker setup I would say.

Nov 23, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #3,461 of 4,451
I do agree at some point that the DAC has improven the timing and more detail in the upper mid, treble. For me the i vould have kept the new software if the vocals and the cymbals was a bit more laid back. Now im getting tired of the sound. The old software did take the breath of me playing Rammstein and Roger Waters.
We are two here on the Headfi forum that have the same perception of the new software.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #3,462 of 4,451
  Reboot your DAC.

Agree: The stability of the sound image is clearly better. Because of this, the mid and high section to me seems more relaxed. Not harsh at all - unless the recording is. I have the impression the new version is more sensitive to its recording and source. Personally I see this as an enhancement but others may think different The better the recording and source are, the better the M7 will be. The bass improved as well - the old DSP has a "bulb", this seems to be gone, although I agree - very much depending on the recording - it can be strong. (booming is far too exaggerated)
I recommend to set the DAC to its default configuration (meaning no jumpers except for Bypass) prior to take conclusions. The NOS mode is technically correct now, no imbalance or whatsoever.

Am using the M7 with a Mano streamer since few weeks. Before I used it with a USB Converter. Connecting the USB Converter now seems even a bigger step back compared to the Mano.

Good job Kingwa - Congratulations!!

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,463 of 4,451
Did the "downgrade" to the old version today and its sounds magic again. Warm, relaxed sound with the natural strong vocals and the extremely good reproduction of pianos.

Thanks to Kingwa for great and fast service. Will sleep well tonight :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back