Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,896 of 4,451

I hope they do a retrofit kit or something for the M7

I'm sure they will provide Amanero kits and hope it just mounts in place of USB32 with no fuss.  I forget I have a AGD Ref 5.32 which is a balanced four DAC version with PCM1701UK chips.  Same DSP, USB32, ACSS outputs, etc. as the Master 7.  Sounds like the Master 7 but not quite as dynamic and less low level detail.  Probably buy a Amanero USB board for it if they get thumbs up after some reviews. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,897 of 4,451
I just ordered a master 7 (hdmi + rj45) and a DI-2014 (hdmi+rj45+tcxo) and I was planning to hook it up like this:

PC -> usb -> DI-2014 -> hdmi -> master 7 -> xlr -> controller sub -> xlr -> left / right speaker

Now upon reading more, I'm not sure if I need this "DSD CTR cable" (I missed reading this when I ordered). 
Is this something I'll want? If so I request another invoice to buy this cable? Can I get the cable someplace else?

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,898 of 4,451
@DACLadder

Is it possible for you to do a worded comparison for M7 vs Ygg? I think many of us here are very interested in your opinion.

Bass
Mids
Treble
Voices
Transients
Details
Soundstage and Imaging
Neutrality
Textures
Energy

you can reference the above comparators from this review:
http://headmania.org/2015/06/28/theta-dspro-basic-oldie-but-goldie-dac/

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2,899 of 4,451
  I just ordered a master 7 (hdmi + rj45) and a DI-2014 (hdmi+rj45+tcxo) and I was planning to hook it up like this:

PC -> usb -> DI-2014 -> hdmi -> master 7 -> xlr -> controller sub -> xlr -> left / right speaker

Now upon reading more, I'm not sure if I need this "DSD CTR cable" (I missed reading this when I ordered). 
Is this something I'll want? If so I request another invoice to buy this cable? Can I get the cable someplace else?

You won't need the cable with the Master 7 as it will not play DSD files directly.  Kingwa's cables are very affordable if you ever need one.   

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,900 of 4,451
Also I don't think Master 11 will be better than Master 7 + Master 9 from a technical standpoint. The DAC and Pre-amp in the M11 is sharing the same power source vs dedicated power sources for M7 + M9. M11 is going to be more power and space saving as well as cost saving. But you cannot discount the additional 4 x PCM1704UK in M7 which will deliver more current output(maybe resulting in better transients/stronger dynamics) and maybe sightly lesser distortion vs M11.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2,902 of 4,451

BTW Audio GD now has a new USB Interface the Amanero Combo 384 for 90 USD, so maybe a separate USB converter want be “needed” anymore or at least not as important.

Hmm I just ordered the Master 7 with the DI-2014, I wonder with this new Amanero I should have opted into getting the Master 7 USB version.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,903 of 4,451
  @DACLadder

Is it possible for you to do a worded comparison for M7 vs Ygg? I think many of us here are very interested in your opinion.

Bass  {M7 has prominent bass/ mid-bass that is looser than the Yggy's. The Yggy's bass is very tight but perceived less so especially when new.  It took several hundred hours for the Yggy's bass to mature and get really deep enough to enjoy. By weight there is less of it than the M7.  I get best bass with the M7 with low jitter sources}

Mids  {Definite mid-range presence with the M7 where the Yggy is flat.  I like this bloom as my whole system is tuned around 2.5 yrs of M7 use.  There is nice weight/ harmonic content to acoustic/electric guitars, cellos, etc with the M7.  The M7 has nice big balls}

Treble  (The Yggy's highs are extremely nice but took many 100s hrs to mellow out.  But again neutral in a good way.  No sibilance on vocals unless on the source material.  The M7s highs can be thicker but airy on top like on cymbal crashes/ decay which I like but it is coloration perhaps}

Voices  {The Yggy is very neutral with low sibilance artifacts.  Tolerant to recorded sibilance in a way but very revealing on bad recordings.   I really like the M7 vocals when driven with the OR5's HDMI I2S port but occasionally a splash of sibilance energy that seems excessive.  Sometimes voices are recessed in the M7 but they are very believable otherwise. My main complaint of the Yggy is there is a small perceived grain on vocals with some recordings.  Could be just myself or my system.  Seems to be getting better with more run time}

Transients  {The Yggy shines on transients and took some time to get used to the abundance.  The M7 is tamer but not by a huge amount.  The M7 is very dynamic and gives plenty of attack - just not as much as the Yggy.  I have no problem with the M7 in this area}

Details {The Yggy has a more detail and less congestion on complicated passages.  You can hear into the mix with good clarity.  With a low jitter source the M7 is good enough for me and gives me plenty of believable detail.  I can hear analog tape hiss on the Yggy where I don't always on the Master 7 is one example.  But there is a lot going on with the M7 as well in a warm, open, spacious way.}

Soundstage and Imaging {The M7 throws a wider sound stage but the Yggy is deeper and probably more precise.  I believe this has something to do with better low level detail in the Yggy or more resolution maybe.  I like the M7 wide soundstage for rock.}

Neutrality  {The Master 7 is billed as a neutral DAC but has its own sound character (prominent mids/bass for example).   And I like its mild coloration in my system.  The Yggy is very flat and I did not like that when it was new as it was also lean sounding.  Give it time to blossom but is still very neutral.}

Textures {Yggy is neutral but tons of resolution and detail if the recording has it.  The M7 colors the sound slightly but adds some nice spice to recordings.  I really like electric guitars with the M7. They are full and rich where the Yggy has a leaner presentation on the 6-strings.  Thicker vocals on the M7 which can be nice as well.}

Energy  (The Yggy is a Porshe where the M7 is a muscle car.  The Yggy can start and stop on a dime while the M7 is slower to react but not by a great amount.  Again HDMI I2S will bring out the best in the Master 7 in this area.  The M7 though has plenty of believable energy and dynamics.  Just not as much as the Yggy.  When new it took many weeks to get use to the hyper detail and dynamics from the Yggy.  But after 500+ hrs it has smoothed out and sounds very good/ believable}

you can reference the above comparators from this review:
http://headmania.org/2015/06/28/theta-dspro-basic-oldie-but-goldie-dac/

See above in { }.  I'll give it a shot but this is my experience with speakers.  I'm sure others have different opinions as they may prefer something different.  There is no right and wrong as everyone prefers something different in a DAC.   So add your experiences. 

Edit: LOL I reread the above comments and could have summed it all up in one sentence!   "The Yggy is neutral in a good way and does a lot of things right with finesse and precision while the Master 7 is no slouch with HDMI I2S".  

The above comparison with the Master 7 is with HDMI I2S and the Off Ramp 5 USB converter driving the port.  That is my best sound with the Master 7 and it really sounds great.   The other M7 inputs are no where near as good as HDMI I2S.  If you have a Master 7 you should consider HDMI I2S with a good source.  You are missing a lot of capability and it will reward you with better sound.  But don't go crazy yet as the Amanero USB board is coming out soon and may be much better than USB32.

And the Yggy using its internal USB interface.  I tried S/PDIF and AES from the OR5 but I like the Yggy's USB best.  

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #2,904 of 4,451
Thanks for the detailed comparsion. Now we have even more first hand information on how M7 differs from Ygg. So it looks like Ygg could benefit more from downstream coloration(i.e. Tubes/warm amps/speakers) while the M7 could use more neutral based gears.

I think having a overly high resolution/high detail/high dynamics DAC might not necessary be a good thing if most of your recording/music source is not well done, e.g. presenting too much hiss, exposing lossy compression artifacts.

e.g. I find it very fatiguing to listen to some of the 80's music(e.g. Alphaville, A-Ha, Village People, Michael Jackson) on the ODAC due to the way ODAC/ESS Sabre deliver transients, it's just way too fast and overly shouty.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,906 of 4,451
Other than a new usb, there seem to be a new MCU as well:

2, If you want to buy the Amanero Combo384 for our PCM1704 built in DAC, you can buy the new MCU replace in the unit for the better performance improve .

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm

Let's see what kingwa have to say about this new MCU.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #2,907 of 4,451
What's an MCU?

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #2,908 of 4,451
  Hmm I just ordered the Master 7 with the DI-2014, I wonder with this new Amanero I should have opted into getting the Master 7 USB version.

M7 and DI will enable you to play around with i2s.
But with m7 +amanero usb, you wont need DI if you are using usb only.
Kingwa should agree amanero usb is now functionally better than usb32.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,909 of 4,451

With implmentation of amanero usb in full force now, his dsd ctr cable will be a thing of the past soon.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,910 of 4,451

I would go for one Amanero USB and one HDMI if I was you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back