Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Aug 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,041 of 4,451
I wish I knew. The OR5 obviously has options like power regulation and clock upgrades that the Transient doesn't have. But they use the same XMOS chip and the Transient reportedly has high quality clocks on its own. I'm still open to buying a OR5 because it is more than likely better I just want to hear a comparison first as I might not want to pay for the difference.

The or5 doesn't use xmos though...supposedly or6 will?

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,043 of 4,451
With all the mention of HDMI I2S I get a lot of PMs about sourcing the HDMI I2S receiver board for the Master 7.   I have no stock of kits but would be willing to hand over the project to someone else with complete information.  Assembly and soldering of the board requires expert skills as the parts are tiny.  It would be over the heads of the majority of casual electronic enthusiasts.  But if you are comfortable soldering 0402 size components then the project is for you.

I also have 15 blank PCB boards, hex spacers for mounting, and the correct header pins for the Master 7 power connection.   They are yours for a modest price.  The other parts are available from Digikey and Jameco.  If you need additional PCBs I have the design file and it is just a matter of ordering from ExpressPCB.  I'm here for support as well and won't keep you hanging.  I just have no time available for manufacturing the boards.  Scott   

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,048 of 4,451

I also have 15 blank PCB boards, hex spacers for mounting, and the correct header pins for the Master 7 power connection.   They are yours for a modest price.  The other parts are available from Digikey and Jameco.  If you need additional PCBs I have the design file and it is just a matter of ordering from ExpressPCB.  I'm here for support as well and won't keep you hanging.  I just have no time available for manufacturing the boards.  Scott   

Scott. Thanks so much for doing this. I think I speak for many others as well in expressing gratitude for your work.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,050 of 4,451
Hip, hip, hooray!

I know that Scott offered a solution to a half-baked plan of mine that seemed doomed to frustration, i.e. pairing a PSA PWT to the M7 using I2S, without knowing anything going in about its lack of standard format.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2,051 of 4,451

Scott. Thanks so much for doing this. I think I speak for many others as well in expressing gratitude for your work.

Thank you Purrin and you are all welcome.  I really enjoy a challenge and designing the HDMI board was a lot of fun.  And came about simply because the RJ45 I2S sound quality was all over the place and that pissed me off.  Rarely does a home project turn out so well especially when everything is reverse engineered.  Wish I could continue building boards but they take a lot of time that I don't have available.   But it makes me proud to actually improve sophisticated products that people enjoy every day.

If I get no takers on taking over the project I am thinking about getting a head count for one last build of boards and finding a contract manufacturer to assemble the HDMI boards and cables.  Still would require some time to order parts and ship product but is manageable time wise.   Thanks again for the kudos... Scott

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #2,052 of 4,451
  If I get no takers on taking over the project I am thinking about getting a head count for one last build of boards and finding a contract manufacturer to assemble the HDMI boards and cables.  Still would require some time to order parts and ship product but is manageable time wise.   Thanks again for the kudos... Scott

Count me in if this happens =)

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,054 of 4,451
Thank you Purrin and you are all welcome.  I really enjoy a challenge and designing the HDMI board was a lot of fun.  And came about simply because the RJ45 I2S sound quality was all over the place and that pissed me off.  Rarely does a home project turn out so well especially when everything is reverse engineered.  Wish I could continue building boards but they take a lot of time that I don't have available.   But it makes me proud to actually improve sophisticated products that people enjoy every day.

Count me in as well.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #2,055 of 4,451

Count me in as well if you do one last build

Frizzup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back