Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Mar 29, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,607 of 4,451
Thanks for all the interest in the "HDMI" I2S adapter board (PMs and such). It is a small PCB board that replaces the currently supplied M7 RJ45 I2S board and delivers differential LVDS I2S to the Master 7.  I have been stealthy on purpose because it is not a product for general sale. It could be but is just a prototype at this point. And did not physically exist 6 weeks ago so came together very fast and still in the test phase. I purchased a few additional PCB boards to assembly for forumites that generated interest in my first attempt as far back as Jan 2014 lol. That is why you are seeing comments lately as these few Rev 2 proto boards have shipped and are installed. So to save me repeating it all every day please take a look at the installation instructions for additional information.  Recently added a features section to the end of the document.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6882147/l2l-installationinstuctions-2-2d-pdf-382k?da=y

And the board design is not rocket science but applies known engineering principles to a need and that is simply lower jitter clocks driving the Master 7. The Off Ramp 5 and Master 7 are the magical combination that makes it all work sound wise.  This board just provides a better data pipe.  Same I2S just lower jitter.  Also a friend has a PSA PWT transport and is reporting better sound with his Master 7 as well when driven by differential LVDS I2S.

Kingwa told me he is not interested in supplying a compatible "HDMI" type I2S board in his products as he is concerned over lawsuits from using the name "HDMI". For differential I2S we are borrowing the proven, high speed HDMI physical interface components and using them for a different purpose. Regular HDMI signal format from a Blu-Ray player is not compatible.  I call this board "L2L" in the installation instructions but open for other suggestions. Would like to get away from the name HDMI if you get my drift. HDMI.org is though making money on every HDMI cable sold in support of this interface so don't feel too bad for them!

Latest developments... This new "L2L" I2S board may live on in other ADG DACs. Could be a direct fit in the SA-2 and perhaps the current production NFB-17.32 (but with a different power connection). Also looking into the current design's compatibility for DSD PCM mode in newer DACs driven by the Off Ramp 6 perhaps.

Please read the instructions and if it still doesn't make sense give me a shout.  Thanks again... Scott

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,608 of 4,451
Hello there, my name is Marco and I'm Italian. I just bought a Master 7 which should be delivered tomorrow by DHL and this is my first post here. One of my friend has an audiobyte hydra-x+ of which is really happy in connection with his W4S DAC2. I really would like to test my Master 7 with the same, but it only use HDMI for I2S connection. Eventually I found out that you sorted out a nice device for the connection of "HDMI" to Master7. I will send you a pm soon to buy one ;D

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,609 of 4,451
This morning I am bankrupt.  Marco, our newest Master 7 brother, sent me a link to a French company (audiophonics.fr search "hdmi iis" on site) that sells a HDMI to I2S adapter.  Uncanny but the same basic setup.  Kit form, not sure of power requirements, and possible galvanic isolation.  The PCB is larger and not sure of mounting.  But cost is 9.90 Euro!  I am cancelling the order for a new BMW
normal_smile .gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #1,610 of 4,451
Here I am, actually i understand from audiobyte that they were the one who designed i2s connection for ps audio.

I just connected my master 7 to my pc, installed driver and everything seems to work smoothly. Sorry for the silly question but, I use Jriver. Via Asio output: how do I understand if I'm correctly using 32bit / 384khz and not less??

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,612 of 4,451
  Here I am, actually i understand from audiobyte that they were the one who designed i2s connection for ps audio.

I just connected my master 7 to my pc, installed driver and everything seems to work smoothly. Sorry for the silly question but, I use Jriver. Via Asio output: how do I understand if I'm correctly using 32bit / 384khz and not less??

Master 7 (PCM1704UK) supports up to 32 bit/192KHz through USB and I2S input, 24 bit/192KHz through SPDIF inputs.

It’s only the USB-32 VIA module that support 32bit/384K, so you cannot play 384 KHz on it.

In Jriver you can open tools – options – DSP output format to see (and change) the sample rate playing

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,613 of 4,451
  This morning I am bankrupt.  Marco, our newest Master 7 brother, sent me a link to a French company (audiophonics.fr search "hdmi ii2" on site) that sells a HDMI to I2S adapter.  Uncanny but the same basic setup.  Kit form, not sure of power requirements, and possible galvanic isolation.  The PCB is larger and not sure of mounting.  But cost is 9.90 Euro!  I am cancelling the order for a new BMW
normal_smile .gif

Sorry to hear that, but maybe yours is better
beyersmile.png

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,614 of 4,451

Sorry to hear that, but maybe yours is better
beyersmile.png

I was tongue-in-cheek about that last post.  I never set out to make it a business. If I did I would be losing money.  Just got pissed off at RJ45 I2S and designed a better mouse trap.  Once my prototype boards are gone there will probably not be any more built - way too labor intensive.  I can never compete with a larger player on cost.  But I use good parts, spent many hours in design/ optimization phase, and is plug-n-play into the Master 7.  Also offer a money back guarantee.  So I say... "Bring on the challengers!". 
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,615 of 4,451
The fact is that I'm worried, I'm not using the dac at its best connected to the pc with jriver. I even installed foobar and put the viaasio.dll inside components folder, but from the output option I can only see audio gd spidf (which I think it s wasapi) and not asio. The installed driver are 2014 after 7 February. Any suggestion?

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,616 of 4,451

I was tongue-in-cheek about that last post.  I never set out to make it a business. If I did I would be losing money.  Just got pissed off at RJ45 I2S and designed a better mouse trap.  Once my prototype boards are gone there will probably not be any more built - way too labor intensive.  I can never compete with a larger player on cost.  But I use good parts, spent many hours in design/ optimization phase, and is plug-n-play into the Master 7.  Also offer a money back guarantee.  So I say... "Bring on the challengers!". 
wink_face.gif

The size of the audiophonics product should be the deal breaker. I'm not so sure If I could do those modifications I can't even solder haha.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,617 of 4,451
The fact is that I'm worried, I'm not using the dac at its best connected to the pc with jriver. I even installed foobar and put the viaasio.dll inside components folder, but from the output option I can only see audio gd spidf (which I think it s wasapi) and not asio. The installed driver are 2014 after 7 February. Any suggestion?

Windows? XP? Vista? 7? 8?

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,619 of 4,451
I use the same Windows. Try Wasapi or Kernel Streaming in Foobar. Both work with the latest drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back