Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Mar 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,592 of 4,451
First, I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread.  As a result of all of the terrific comments I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Master 7 yesterday!

I know this site is primarily for headphone users, but I also plan on trying the Master 7 in my main HiFi rig.  In this setup I will be streaming music to the Master 7 via an Apple Airport Express, so I will be using the optical input to the Master 7.  Does anyone have any experience/comments on how well the optical input to the Master 7 works?

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,593 of 4,451
I have not tried it. It does have some advantages like no power jitter or no transmission. But I would say look to the future and USB or an offramp.

Al

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,595 of 4,451
OK you got me... Offramp 5 w/ I2S upgrade ordered.
Looking forward to get rid of all my troubles with USB audio...

Me too, I have now ordered an Off-Ramp 5 with HDMI Hynes Regulator after considered the pros and cons (SQ, use and price). The EVO with EVO clock are probable very good sounded and cheaper, but seems to be less user-friendly. One needs to manually change the clock then the bit rate change, too much trouble for me to be honest.

I agree with you on the USB problem.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #1,596 of 4,451
In this hobby I truly hate paying the two or three times the price for devices. As the rules of diminishing returns comes in to play. But with the offramp. And havering a 40 K MSB DAC To compare results to. It's worth every dime. What really is annoying to me is the lack of ability of the makers of our little D A C ,S and the fact they produce items so obviously almost defective . And no one here or anywhere complaines at the companies who make our DACS. I think it is outrageous to charge 10K or less for devices that never will sound anywhere neer there potential . I could understand a better USB cable or hub or CPU setup. But none of those really matter a hoot when using the USB converters such as an offramp. And not a peep from us.
I am planning to attend the ny meet. And intend to bring two setups that will be playing at the same time with the offramp. As all outputs are live at the same time when using it. It's fantastic to A/B with.
One will be the audio gd M7 with the KRELL KAV400 XI. And HE 6
The other will be the HDVD800 with the HD800 both setups will be in fully balanced mode .
Music will be from a surface pro . RB ,FLAC , DSD REFERENCE recordings of mine will be playing and I can use others music if desired . It's a shame it will be noisey as I would love to see peoples faces when they hear just how good it can be.

Al

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,597 of 4,451
Seems to me that people arent liking the USB input to their Master 7s a whole bunch...

Has anyone tried using the optical/coax out of a ASUS ST or STX? 

I would be interested in the Dolby Headphone performance and overall quality with DH off, is it a good solution? 

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #1,598 of 4,451
Just installed the hdmi i2s board from dacladder which went very smooth besides the amount of god damn glue holding the usb power source in place. So at least i have something to stare at until I order an off ramp...

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,599 of 4,451
  Just installed the hdmi i2s board from dacladder which went very smooth besides the amount of god damn glue holding the usb power source in place. So at least i have something to stare at until I order an off ramp...

Who made it for you? I would like to try it but I am not able to make it.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,604 of 4,451
I guess but when you hear it
Now you will not let go back !
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back