Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 27, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #2,236 of 4,451
So initial conclusion is that the VIA USB32 driver provided by Audio-GD for the DI-2014 does not provide the same level of performance/optimisation as the standard Microsoft USB driver built into Windows Server 2012 R2 when using my AP2/PP combination.

frizzup

The "usb driver" and the driver for the VIA chip and for that matter, the Audiophilleo driver, are two completely different things. The VIA driver does not replace the Windows usb driver. The usb driver tells windows how to use the usb ports. The via driver tells windows how to use the usb ports in order to communicate with the VIA USB 32 chip inside the dac/DI. Comparing the two is a little like comparing a bluray player to a bluray disc.

What is probably going on is that the difference in programming between the via driver and the AP2 driver puts one at a disavantage when used with Windows server 2012. This is ok as neither Audiophilleo or Audio GD claim that their drivers work with Windows Server, Audiophilleo doesnt even list Windows 8 on its driver compatibility list. Since neither claim to work without issue on Windows Server its just blind luck that one works better than the other. It is also quite possible that you are not hearing the best from either.

My own personal experience with last via driver release was that it was superior to the AP2/PP on Windows 8.1 but again since Audiophilleo doesnt list Windows 8.1 on its driver compatibility list, it is possible that I wasnt hearing it at its best.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #2,237 of 4,451
I might also suggest try single pc if the buffer size is a problem but again I'm not an expert just suggesting possible things to try... Apart from the buffer though is there still treble etch?

Ws2012 with AO is excellent though. Havent really tested his tweaks empirically but the sound is pretty self explanatory. Paul Pang has good stuff also. I'm using his sata cables and ssd blocks.

Edit: cut out some speculation

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,238 of 4,451
The "usb driver" and the driver for the VIA chip and for that matter, the Audiophilleo driver, are two completely different things. The VIA driver does not replace the Windows usb driver. The usb driver tells windows how to use the usb ports. The via driver tells windows how to use the usb ports in order to communicate with the VIA USB 32 chip inside the dac/DI. Comparing the two is a little like comparing a bluray player to a bluray disc.

What is probably going on is that the difference in programming between the via driver and the AP2 driver puts one at a disavantage when used with Windows server 2012. This is ok as neither Audiophilleo or Audio GD claim that their drivers work with Windows Server, Audiophilleo doesnt even list Windows 8 on its driver compatibility list. Since neither claim to work without issue on Windows Server its just blind luck that one works better than the other. It is also quite possible that you are not hearing the best from either.

My own personal experience with last via driver release was that it was superior to the AP2/PP on Windows 8.1 but again since Audiophilleo doesnt list Windows 8.1 on its driver compatibility list, it is possible that I wasnt hearing it at its best.

Thanks ciphercomplete  I do understand there are different drivers involved.

For the DI-2014 - The USB PCIE card from Paul Pang uses a USB driver within Windows 2012 R2. The VIA driver for the USB32 input to the DI-2014 is seperate to that driver and is provided by VIA/Audio-GD
For the AP2/PP - The USB PCIE card from Paul Pang uses a USB driver within Windows 2012 R2. The AP2 uses a Microsoft standard driver built within Windows 2012 R2.

While Audiophilleo do provide a custom driver for AP2 if you need to have audio input above 96kHz i.e 176/192 I am not using the that custom driver for my AP2 just the standard Microsoft one that gets installed when you first hook up the AP2.. Therefore the O/S compatibility issue you raise is not true for my setup as I'm using the O/S built in driver for AP2.

CAPS x 2 --> O/S = Win 2012 R2 ---> Audio Optimizer ---> JPLAY 5.21 ----> AP2/PP----> Master 7----> ACSS ----> Master 10 ----> Magneplanar 3.7R 

frizzup

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,239 of 4,451
  Thanks ciphercomplete  I do understand there are different drivers involved.

For the DI-2014 - The USB PCIE card from Paul Pang uses a USB driver within Windows 2012 R2. The VIA driver for the USB32 input to the DI-2014 is seperate to that driver and is provided by VIA/Audio-GD
For the AP2/PP - The USB PCIE card from Paul Pang uses a USB driver within Windows 2012 R2. The AP2 uses a Microsoft standard driver built within Windows 2012 R2.

While Audiophilleo do provide a custom driver for AP2 if you need to have audio input above 96kHz i.e 176/192 I am not using the that custom driver for my AP2 just the standard Microsoft one that gets installed when you first hook up the AP2.. Therefore the O/S compatibility issue you raise is not true for my setup as I'm using the O/S built in driver for AP2.

CAPS x 2 --> O/S = Win 2012 R2 ---> Audio Optimizer ---> JPLAY 5.21 ----> AP2/PP----> Master 7----> ACSS ----> Master 10 ----> Magneplanar 3.7R 

frizzup

Ah I got you.  I forgot all about the AP2 not needing a driver for 96khz and below since I never used it this way.  I agree with your assessment then.  I hope I didn't come off as rude or anything.
redface.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2,240 of 4,451
To cut in here my favorite Wireworld dealer is having a blow out sale on their older house brand HDMI cables.  The cables look like they are manf. by Wireworld as they have the same type of metal headshell that can be removed if ever needed.  Plus silver cladding over OFCu  on the wires if you choose.  I do see some differences with WW cables as the cable plastic sheath on the house brand is a little thinner and HDMI connector outer metal is not gold plated.  The signal contact pins are gold plated though.     

Just internet search "Apollo AV" (US) and look at Clearance or HDMI cables.   The house brand is called Thunder for OFCu only and Lightning for the silver clad.  They are marked down 75% and so cheap it made my eyes pop out.  If they don't work out then you are out only a few dollars literally.   I just ordered two additional cables (silvered Lightning 0.5m and 1.0m) and total price was $41.00 including $12 shipping.  You can also check out Wireworld cables and savings on WW discontinued models as well.  I am currently using 0.5m Lightning I purchased last year and sounds great.  Highly recommended as a great deal on high performance HDMI cables.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #2,242 of 4,451
I just order a 0.5m length of the silver one.  I'm not a believer in cables (maybe my ears are not golden enough) but that price is even cheaper than Blue Jeans Cable which is where I bought all my other analog and digital cables.  So we will see if it makes a difference.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,244 of 4,451
  He doesn't have any more WW Platinum HDMI cables, tho, does he? 
wink.gif

Just found them.  5 and 7 m only.  No apparent discount.

EDIT 2 - They're (6s) discounted relative to the Pt 7s, at any rate.

They don't have the short lengths of the older WW Platinum cables but look for the Platinum Starlight 7.  You are right... no bargain there.  Sheesh!  Same cable though I tried to order last year but were sold out of the short lengths.  Instead the Apollo guy sold me a Silver Starlight 6 for half price.  Only a mere $250 for 0.3m.  

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,246 of 4,451
  That WW Starlight 5.2 0.3 m looks like low hanging fruit.  Not as cheap as their discontinued Lightning v1.4, but a bit cheaper than their new v.2.

The Starlight 5.2 0.3m was my first HDMI I2S cable.  Worked well.

The Apollo AV bargain cables, Thunder and Lightning, are the older version - v1.4.   The newer ones are v2.0.   Supposedly supports higher data rates, cost is higher, and free US shipping.  HDMI I2S is low, low speed compared to HDMI 4K color signal.  Choose your poison but have no experience with the latest 2.0 series.    

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #2,247 of 4,451

Ah I got you.  I forgot all about the AP2 not needing a driver for 96khz and below since I never used it this way.  I agree with your assessment then.  I hope I didn't come off as rude or anything.
redface.gif

Hi cipercomplete,

Not all all..........we have a common objective of getting the best possible sound out of our investment and our decision to buy the Audio-GD Master series

frizzup

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,249 of 4,451
Hi all,

I have a master 7 and I was considering upgrading/tweaking.  I've lost track of this thread and not quite sure what I need, i've noticed Kingwa has released the following 2 products since I last checked in.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN.htm - DI-2014

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/I2Skits/I2SEN.htm - I2S Connector

I currently connect the Master 7 to my server directly via USB input built into the unit. Do I need to purchase both of the following items? How does all of this connect together and what's the order and connection required between all?
Is the I2S swap out hard to do, and what are the benefits?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and apologies if this has already been covered.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2,250 of 4,451
My order request to Audio-GD

1. DI-2004 with TXCO upgrade
  2. Replace RJ45 I2S output on DI-2004 with HDMI I2S output board installed
  3. DI-2004 will be used to connect with my existing Audio-GD Master 7
  4. NZ Power Cable/Plug
  5. HDMI I2S input board with power wire/socket for DIY installation into my Master 7 DAC replacing the current RJ45 input

Then you need a short HDMI cable to connect the DI2014 to the Master 7.

Note DO NOTt insert or remove the HDMI cable from either the DI-2014 or the Master 7 with the units powered up.

My experience of installing the DI-2014 and HDMI

So my Audio-GD DI-2014 with installed HDMI output and the replacement HDMI input board for my Audio-GD M7 arrived.

Fitting the HDMI input board was relatively easy, only slight hitch was that the existing RJ45 board and its I2S wires had a brown gluey substance holding the plug into the onboard socket. Sharp knife to cut away the glue, then a bit of leverage with a flat blade screwdriver freed the plug from the socket. Putting the new HDMI input board into the M7 took all of 5 mins.

Then it was down to loading the Audio-GD supplied USB32 driver onto my JPLAY Audio-PC and hooking the DI-2014 input through my existing Double-Helix USB cable and using a new loaned 1m Wire World Ultraviolet V7 HDMI cable between the DI-2004 output and M7 input. Did this with both DI-2014 and M7 powered down as advised by Kingwa.

Frizzup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back