Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,192 of 4,463
  Wow.  Am I interpreting this correctly, or will this allow you to link directly from your digital file server/PC to the M7 (or PWD, etc.) via HDMI I2S and bypass USB completely?  What a harbinger for the future, if true.

Actually is something from the past.  I have some old modules where it uses I2S and they are back from 1996.

The only changes is on physical side by using HDMI or even RJ45.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,193 of 4,463
I guess the real hurdle is not only a readily accessible replacement of or addition to the ubiquitous USB port for audio, but a corresponding compatible I2S port available on most DACs. I can foresee a time when the digtal data will be maintained in its native I2S format for optimum SQ instead of converted to USB or SPDIF for transmission through digital interconnects between components, once a consistent standard is imposed.

The old PC modules I2S ouput utilized the LVTTL mini-DIN connector (Audio Alchemy std.) (like the Eximus DP1 I2S port)?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,195 of 4,463
In the

I just read a contributer on a HiFiVision forum post saying that the I2S innerconnect should be limited to 10 cm (4 in.)

In the following thread, someone said that 1.5m (5ft) HDMI was OK: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/pwd-topics/pink-faun-computer-based-i%C2%B2s-bridge/page-2/

And someone said that the Offramp 5 outperformed the Pink Faun I2S bridge to his ears.

But I would like to see more experience-based opinions on this matter here...

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,197 of 4,463
I personally use a 0.5 m HDMI cable between my PWT and M7 and it sounds better than thru any of my S/PDIF connects.

Lessee...  here's the passage from the post:
"I2S is most preferred connection over SPDIF for short lengths usually upto 10 cms from my understanding".  Whatever that means, so yeah, prolly Cat5 cable.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,198 of 4,463

I just read a contributer on a HiFiVision forum post saying that the I2S innerconnect should be limited to 10 cm (4 in.)

I think this might be talking bout the older single ended signal I2S.  My understanding is that LVDS I2S has better signal integrity than the older single ended I2S and therefore can be used with longer cables without as much issue.  I would imagine better cables would help here also as in allow longer cables with less impact on signal integrity.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #2,200 of 4,463
I use 1m (3.3ft) I2S HDMI between my OR5 and M7 and it is the best connection of all I have tried.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,202 of 4,463
  Yeah, I think that the balanced LVDS (HDMI) I2S is galvanically isolated by design, but I could be wrong.  The circuit ground isolator(s) may need to be discretely added.

No galvanic isolation normally.  Each circuit ground is directly connected together by the cable.  Hence the strong statement to use the same power feed for all your equipment and power down before connecting/ disconnecting the HDMI cable.  Kingwa says the same on his HDMI I2S order page.  I blew up the Off Ramp 5 hot plugging HDMI I2S when powered with a bench power supply so please be careful.

Same situation with RJ45 I2S as well - at least with the OR5 to M7.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,203 of 4,463
Yeah, I'm recalibrated somewhat.  The balanced LVDS (HDMI) signal with individual channel return signal (ground) conductors allows common mode interferences (e.g. external EMI noise) to cancel out, thus maintaining signal integrity over longer distances relative to single ended LVTTL ( RJ45) signal, and allowing longer cables.  The trade off to balanced signal is higher cable capacitance, so that transmission over single ended conductor cable with lower capacitance allows longer distances.  So, balanced signal cable maintains signal quality integrity over longer distance; single ended signal cable maintains signal intensity over longer distance, however corrupted.  Isolating (galvanically or ottherwise) signal ground from power ground has really nothing to do with maximum cable length in this argument.

However, I'm confused by your statement that each circuit (channel) ground (return) is connected by (in?) the cable.  That would seem to defeat to whole purpose of eliminating common mode interference in balanced signal cable.  Do you mean at the connector(s)?  I would think that the individual channel ground conductors would be grounded together in either the transmitter (e.g. DDC) or receiver unit (DAC), and leave the individual channel cable grounds insulated from each other over the entire exposed cable length.  What am I missing?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,204 of 4,463
So I've decided to give the DI-2014/HDMI out to M7/HDMI. Placed my order for DI-2014 with TXCO and HDMI out upgrade and the HDMI input board for DIY install into my M7.

Rest of config is Audio-GD Master 10 amp into Magnepan 3.7R. Double Helix USB and ACSS cables. Source is dual I5 CAPS PC's running WS2012, Audio-optimiser 1.30 and jplay. Currently using Audiophilleo 2 and Purepower for USB to BNC into M7 so will be interesting to compare to DI-2014/HDMI.

This just leaves a decision to be made on HDMI Brand/Model and length in time for the arrival of the kit from Audio-GD. Double-Helix do not do a HDMI cable otherwise I would have stuck with that brand for my cables. Any nominations for HDMI cable ?

Frizzup

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #2,205 of 4,463
I like Wireworld Platinum for my digital cables, but some find them bright.  All depends on personal taste though, but to me WW cables let the most information through.

Would be interested to hear how well the DI2014 works with HDMI I2S connection, especially vs as the AP2/pp as I had that converter before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back