Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #2,101 of 4,463

Okay I have upgraded my PC with JCAT USB Card and JCAT USB Cable and can only say wow. This combination really makes my Master 7 with Offramp 5 + Teddy Pardo preforming in another league than before. The difference is a much clearer sound, way better dynamic, blacker background, a more open soundstage with superior instrument separation and more air. It also have a more natural tonality with a less warm midrange and firmer and superior defined bass. The treble is also improved and seems to be extended and more refined.

For me the overall improvement in SQ is as big if not bigger then what I got from going from Master 7 USB 32 (old firmware and driver) to Master 7 with Offramp 5 (I2S) + Teddy Pardo. I haven’t compered directly with Linn Klimax (a dac I really like) in my system, but for the first time I’m not feeling that I missing the clarity, dynamic and air then coming home after a listening to Linn’s top dog system. It’s not me saying my system is now on pair, it I saying the SQ in my system has gotten more in line with the SQ I have been looking for.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #2,102 of 4,463
I wonder if anyone has compared Master 7 to the zodiac+. it seems the zodiac has some good 3d soundstage and clarity.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #2,103 of 4,463
Okay I have upgraded my PC with JCAT USB Card and JCAT USB Cable and can only say wow. This combination really makes my Master 7 with Offramp 5 + Teddy Pardo preforming in another league than before. The difference is a much clearer sound, way better dynamic, blacker background, a more open soundstage with superior instrument separation and more air. It also have a more natural tonality with a less warm midrange and firmer and superior defined bass. The treble is also improved and seems to be extended and more refined.

For me the overall improvement in SQ is as big if not bigger then what I got from going from Master 7 USB 32 (old firmware and driver) to Master 7 with Offramp 5 (I2S) + Teddy Pardo. I haven’t compered directly with Linn Klimax (a dac I really like) in my system, but for the first time I’m not feeling that I missing the clarity, dynamic and air then coming home after a listening to Linn’s top dog system. It’s not me saying my system is now on pair, it I saying the SQ in my system has gotten more in line with the SQ I have been looking for.

I agree JCAT USB card is comparable to a transport upgrade.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,104 of 4,463
  Dusted off the AP1/PP this weekend and upgraded the AP1 firmware to the latest.  I am getting ready to sell and wanted to check it out.  My, oh my has the sound of the Master 7 come a long way in just a short amount of time.   Compared to Off Ramp HDMI I2S the AP1/PP on IN1 is more closed with a hint of veil over the sound especially the highs.  Occasional but frequent enough excessive silibance on "ssssss".  Tighter bass than USB32 and without the USB32 fuzziness.  Not bad but back to the Off Ramp before I go into withdrawal. 

I ordered a Channel Island Audio Transient mk II to give HDMI I2S a try with that box.  Should have a comparison to Off Ramp 5 HDMI I2S in few weeks....

You're a real gentleman, you know? Here I am, waiting and wondering what the CIA T-Mkii would sound like in comparison to something more standard, and then you come along and tell us you're going to go take a look compared to the OR-5. And since I'm not a gentleman, I'll ask about the chances of you trying the Audiobyte - Hydra-X+ too???

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,105 of 4,463
I have the Hydra-X+ but the HDMI produce static noise so it is not usable.

My dealer told me Audiobyte is coming up with a new revision - the Hydra-Z - which will have some ways to tune the LVDS output a bit. Should be released next month. We shall see then!

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #2,108 of 4,463
  You're a real gentleman, you know? Here I am, waiting and wondering what the CIA T-Mkii would sound like in comparison to something more standard, and then you come along and tell us you're going to go take a look compared to the OR-5. And since I'm not a gentleman, I'll ask about the chances of you trying the Audiobyte - Hydra-X+ too???

I received the CIAudio Transient mkII + CIA +5V power supply yesterday.  It works without issue with the M7 HDMI I2S board.  So letting it burn in and performing listening tests.  One item I like better than the Off Ramp 5 and that there are no audible clicks when searching through tracks of differing sampling rates.  I don't want to spend $50 to fix this flaw in the Off Ramp.  The Transient sounds good enough so far that I didn't rip it out upon first listen as I did with many USB32 firmware releases :).  Initial sound differences are slight but noticeable and much less than comparing USB32 to the Off Ramp 5.  First impression is the Transient is more clinical sounding where the Off Ramp 5 is lush, extended, hyper detailed, and maybe a little wider/ deeper stage.  It could be the Transient is just a more honest representation.  But it is too early to really give a thumbs up, down, or declare a favorite.  I do though like vocals with the Transient.  Just the right amount of silibance.

I'll let someone else purchase the Hydra X for eval.  The Transient mk II will most likely follow me to work when finished as it has a built-in DAC chip.  But it definitely does not suck!

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,111 of 4,463
I received the CIAudio Transient mkII + CIA +5V power supply yesterday.  It works without issue with the M7 HDMI I2S board.  So letting it burn in and performing listening tests.  One item I like better than the Off Ramp 5 and that there are no audible clicks when searching through tracks of differing sampling rates.  I don't want to spend $50 to fix this flaw in the Off Ramp.  The Transient sounds good enough so far that I didn't rip it out upon first listen as I did with many USB32 firmware releases :).  Initial sound differences are slight but noticeable and much less than comparing USB32 to the Off Ramp 5.  First impression is the Transient is more clinical sounding where the Off Ramp 5 is lush, extended, hyper detailed, and maybe a little wider/ deeper stage.  It could be the Transient is just a more honest representation.  But it is too early to really give a thumbs up, down, or declare a favorite.  I do though like vocals with the Transient.  Just the right amount of silibance.

I'll let someone else purchase the Hydra X for eval.  The Transient mk II will most likely follow me to work when finished as it has a built-in DAC chip.  But it definitely does not suck!

Thanks for the initial thoughts. I think I am getting a sense of the Offramps sound now. When you say the OR5 is more extended what do you mean? Are you simply referring to the frequency extremes (low and high)? I'm willing to bet the differences in sound between the two have a lot to do with the OR5's superior power management especially on the I2s outputs with the Hynes regulator.

I've had the transient for a while now and clinical is a good description although it manages being clinical without being harsh or fatiguing. Its transparent though, it really is a slave to the quality of the recording. A good thing IMO.

Looking forward to more, thanks.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #2,112 of 4,463
Thanks for the initial thoughts. I think I am getting a sense of the Offramps sound now. When you say the OR5 is more extended what do you mean? Are you simply referring to the frequency extremes (low and high)? I'm willing to bet the differences in sound between the two have a lot to do with the OR5's superior power management especially on the I2s outputs with the Hynes regulator.

I've had the transient for a while now and clinical is a good description although it manages being clinical without being harsh or fatiguing. Its transparent though, it really is a slave to the quality of the recording. A good thing IMO.

Looking forward to more, thanks.

I've only had the CIA Transient in operation for a few hours so am giving my first impressions.   But yes the Transient is clinical in a good way.  Clean and transparent.  Not harsh at all.  My comment about "extended" implies frequency response.  I felt the OR5 had a little more bottom and maybe some on top as well.  That was yesterday and today I not so sure.   Did you notice any changes after running in for a time?

I am quite impressed with CIA Transient mkii.  1/3 the price of my decked out OR5. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,113 of 4,463

I felt the OR5 had a little more bottom and maybe some on top as well.  That was yesterday and today I not so sure.  

Did you notice any changes after running in for a time?

I haven't noticed any major changes in the low bass region - the midbass/midrange regions became a hair more clear and tight IIRC.  I think you have it pegged correctly.  I get a tiny bit more bass extension from my cd player and the USB32 but the bass quality from the Transient is better than those two.  

I'm going to do a trial of the OR5 next year when I get the funds.  Does your OR5 have the clock upgrades? 

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,114 of 4,463
   I'm going to do a trial of the OR5 next year when I get the funds.  Does your OR5 have the clock upgrades? 

Yes, turbo clocks and Hynes HDMI Vreg  plus the Dynamo PS.

I would wait upon purchasing an Off Ramp until the OR6 is released.   It is going be very expensive though as fewer options will be offered.  At the least you may be able to pick up an OR5 from someone upgrading.

Sep 20, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #2,115 of 4,463
Hi all,

Has anyone tried Yellowtec PUC2 Lite with the Master 7 or SA-2? 
http://www.thomann.de/fi/yellowtec_puc2_lite.htm

Btw. at Thomann:s site there is also Bricasti M7, i wonder how far away it is from M1? It also uses AD1955. Has anyone heard this thing?
http://www.thomann.de/fi/bricasti_design_m7.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back