Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Feb 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #151 of 4,451
I am joining the party of Master 7!

After audition my friend Ref7.1 and some +ve comments here. I decided to place my order today.  :)

Hopefully it is up to the expectation.

Anyone use MAC Mini as source?

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #152 of 4,451
works great with Mac Mini and Macbook Pro

regards

Macrog

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #154 of 4,451
Quote:
Has anyone compared:
1. Master 7 vs
2. Ref. 7.1 (NOS mode) <- A-Gd DI v3?

popcorn.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #155 of 4,451
If this works, I will safe some money so I don't have to sell my beloved and already superb Ref. 7.1 and just add external DI instead, and ALSO, when the digital input technology progressing, I can just replace modular DI instead of replacing the whole ship.

preproman, have you heard of any A-gd R2R PCM1704UK DACs?

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #156 of 4,451
^^No, but I'm very interested in the Master 7.  I would like to compare it with the PWD2 and the NAD M51.  Just haven't seen many impressions on this DAC.  But the Ref. 7.1 got lots of love in the past.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #157 of 4,451
I'm currently converting my Ref7.1 to Master 7. My understanding is that it is a significant upgrade. Additionally, it virtually mitigates the need for USB conversion.

For those who haven't seen it, this is Currawong's review on this upgrade:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-gd-master-7/reviews/8087

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #160 of 4,451
Having owned both, I think the Ref7.1 is just as good as the PWD MK2. They're very different, but I didn't come away thinking one is better than the other.

Ref7.1 = more bass, bigger soundstage, more neutral sound

PWD MK2 = more prominent and liquid mids, more microdetail, sound signature geared towards being musical rather than neutral (ie. warm, smooth and forgiving). The PWD was also more holographic in its imaging/layering, not that the R7.1 was bad. Only thing was, it played in a much smaller space than the R7.1

In the end, I found the Ref7.1 a bit more enjoyable overall to listen to because of the bass weight mainly. For some mic-centric genres, the PWD was more enjoyable. It really depended on the type of music.

I feel it's important to point out that while the PWD had more microdetail, the Ref7.1 didn't seem lacking, nor did the extra detail add to the enjoyment (for me). This was surprising to me because I'm a detail guy...I guess it was just the way these DACs present that detail.

(Comparison was done with the MK3 JKSPDIF > Ref7.1 / PWD MK2). I didn't include the Off-Ramp 5 (with all upgrades) or USB inputs because that would just complicate things. With the OR5, both DACs were superb, but the Ref7.1 improved more and became the better DAC IMO. Also, the USB input of the PWD was almost as good as the MK3 JKSPDIF feeding it, which was a step down from the OR5.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #161 of 4,451
Good info Shah..

I'm hoping the Master 7 keep that bass weight.  Thus far, the PWD2 pairs very well with the HE-6.  All the amps I have are pretty forgiving as well.  I was thinking when I the GS-X comes, matching that with the Master 7 would give me a pretty detailed system.  The M51 is already a step behind the PWD2, so it has a uphill battle to stick around. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #162 of 4,451
Quote:
Good info Shah..

I'm hoping the Master 7 keep that bass weight.  Thus far, the PWD2 pairs very well with the HE-6.  All the amps I have are pretty forgiving as well.  I was thinking when I the GS-X comes, matching that with the Master 7 would give me a pretty detailed system.  The M51 is already a step behind the PWD2, so it has a uphill battle to stick around. 

This is exactly the reason I've held off on buying the M7 and unloading the Ref7.1. I think the latter strikes a great balance between musicality and technical performance. The PWD MK2 wasn't any better, despite being much newer.

Eventually, I may switch to the M7 if its improvements don't mess with the magic of the Ref7.1. But, for now, I'm pretty happy with my source setup.

(BTW Darryl, the new M^3 opamps are killer eh? I have my own thoughts of it vs the Beta...I'm wondering what yours are -PM to reply.).

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #164 of 4,451
The Master7 looks very, VERY interesting to me.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #165 of 4,451
The USB cable came with the Master 7 is quite cool. Blue and transparent. Just cant figure out what is the IC and jumper for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back