Audio-gd Dynamo D350 Power Regenerator
Jul 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
In addition to all their great audio products, Audio-gd also sells a power regenerator (called the Dynamo D350) that he does not mention on the Audio-gd site. It is a huge 80 lb. device that will output up to 350W and does not use digital technology like the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. I was thinking about getting one but I can get a used PPP for about the same price as his regenerator would cost with shipping.

88849519.jpg

20035567.jpg

26969581.jpg

It has 6 outlets but only handles 350W. That would be fine for a headphone system but not for speaker amps. I believe he said the measurements were approximately 19" x 17" x 7".

The information he sent me is in a folder called Dynamo but the chinese spec sheet I can't read says the model number is the D350. According to him his products definitely benefit from it. I've known about this for awhile but never thought to post about it.

I'm pretty sure he said the D350 would cost $800. Because this unit weighs 80 lbs., the shipping will cost you about $260.

Does anyone want to take the lead on this one and be the first here to try it? When I'm ready (read: have enough money) to buy a regenerator, I will be deciding between this and the PPP. My only concern is the heat. I know how hot the Phoenix gets. I could only imagine what this beast could fry on its grill.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 21
350W should be sufficient for me. My Manley Stingray consumes 370W at full power and 200W on idle, meaning I'll never reach 350W, so add in my DAC which takes a constant 15W. It should fit my rig perfectly.

Now I just gotta let my wallet recuperate after taking a massive dent.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 21
If Kingwa added those massive heatsinks to something he built you KNOW it's going to be a space heater. Maybe if I lived in Alaska this would make sense.
tongue_smile.gif

But, OTOH, if it's like his typical gear this unit will definitely be something worth serious consideration. Who will be the first to order one??????

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 21
It looks nice, but I'd only get it if I get a house with reinforced floors
smily_headphones1.gif
until then I'll stick with my 3 lb. power conditioner. Since it has an output of only 350W, would there be a problem if you were to connect, say, a ref 1+phoenix preamp+c-10 to it? What kinds of problems would occur? Would be great if there's no problem connecting those three, and would be even nicer if I could connect a computer to it too
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats too much power for a headphone setup, 350 watts can power a decent speaker rig. Maybe Audio-gd can also make something like "D100" for a typical headphone system, should be cheaper to build and lighter to ship.

No, it's not too much power at all. The Phoenix uses 48W and the Reference One DAC uses 160W. The custom SB transport I am working on will probably be about 20W. So right there you're almost at 230W. I couldn't even add an Audio-gd CD-7 Transport because it uses 150W. And having some headroom is always a good thing with audio gear.

Jul 26, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take one for the team and get it for the next meet Gary
biggrin.gif

Heck. I still gotta sell off my Phoenix! No buyer at the moment.
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrangulum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any theoretical benefits to this versus the Power Plant? It almost reads as if you mention not using digital technology as a feature of sorts.

No, I did not mention it as a feature. I was just saying that Kingwa's doesn't use digital power regulation whereas the PPP does. I have no idea which one would be better.

What I do know is that Audio-gd created this regenerator mainly to be used with his own gear, so if any regenerator would be optimized for use with Audio-gd components it would be his. My only concern would be the heat given off by it which is something I need to find out.

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not too much power at all. The Phoenix uses 48W and the Reference One DAC uses 160W. The custom SB transport I am working on will probably be about 20W. So right there you're almost at 230W. I couldn't even add an Audio-gd CD-7 Transport because it uses 150W. And having some headroom is always a good thing with audio gear.

LOL, since when a Ref1+Phoenix is a typical headphone setup?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back