Audio-GD component owners: Anyone with experience returning to China for service?
Apr 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Newk Yuler

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to send a DAC19DSP back to Audio-GD for service, USA to China, needing to send it ASAP to get it out within the first year guarantee.  Talking with the person behind the counter at the local Pak Mail while picking up customs forms has made it apparent that shipping will be expensive.  Scary expensive.  He said any shipping method will be by some form of express mail and similarly costly.  I got the impression it could be as much as a couple hundred USD.  I'm planning to use FedEx, but UPS, DHL, and even USPS will be similarly expensive.

The shipping cost reimbursement under the first year guarantee covers only the amount of what it originally cost Audio-GD to ship it here.  That's likely a fraction of what it will cost to ship it back.  The guy at Pak Mail mentioned that companies all over the world have agreements with international carriers for lower shipping costs rated by volume and companies may place some of the actual shipping cost in the prices of products, lowering the stated shipping cost.  I knew all that but I hadn't considered it related to Audio-GD.

I've received shipping information from Edwin at Audio-GD but he didn't specify a carrier after I asked that they recommend one.  It's going back under a similar status as it arrived which has me a bit concerned as many of you Audio-GD owners (purchased from China) may understand.  The Pak Mail person says possible issues with customs will be for the receiving entity when it gets to China.

I'm going to write Edwin and Kingwa again and ask that they recommend a shipping method with a cost similar to the originally stated shipping expense.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 10
Please shipping by "Priority Mail" company. I bought goods from USA usually use this . She will fastest and safe arrive China without any block in my experience.Price usually under USD40 for some KG.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Kingwa: Priority Mail is actually Priority Airmail by USPS (United States Postal Service, aka US Mail). Going to UPS or any of those companies will cost you a lot of money.  USPS rates for big packages is actually alright. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
What about insurance?  Audio-GD will ask you to declare a very low value for the item in which case you cannot insure it for it's full value.  

That's true but shipping back to Audio-GD is a necessary gamble with acceptable odds.  There's no alternative.  It makes the buying option of choosing the domestic retailer a bigger consideration in the future (Pacific Valve with their smaller selection of components and higher prices).  I knew and accepted the possibility that shipping and service problems might come up.  I'm sure most of us that bought from Kingwa considered that but knowing the value for cost of Kingwa's components made it well worth the purchase from China.  I imagine they get very few service returns.

I received an email from Edwin a few hours ago suggesting a customer used UPS and I could choose an alternative carrier with the cheapest cost.  I think Kingwa's suggestion makes the best sense.

I have an hour meter attached to my music server and the math indicates I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 6125 hours on my DAC19DSP in a little less than a year when it stopped working.  There is nothing about the setup that would have caused it to fail other than use.  The power on the music server system is protected by a quality UPS and all components are set up properly to avoid heat issues.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 10
I understand.  Even Pacific Valve may not be refuge though, all their Audio-GD products say this on the page:

Note:  Pacific Valve does not provide service on products purchased directly from China.

I suspect this means one might have to ship to China for repairs anyway.

Anyway, good luck.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
That's true but shipping back to Audio-GD is a necessary gamble with acceptable odds.  There's no alternative.  It makes the buying option of choosing the domestic retailer a bigger consideration in the future (Pacific Valve with their smaller selection of components and higher prices).  I knew and accepted the possibility that shipping and service problems might come up.  I'm sure most of us that bought from Kingwa considered that but knowing the value for cost of Kingwa's components made it well worth the purchase from China.  I imagine they get very few service returns.

I received an email from Edwin a few hours ago suggesting a customer used UPS and I could choose an alternative carrier with the cheapest cost.  I think Kingwa's suggestion makes the best sense.

I have an hour meter attached to my music server and the math indicates I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 6125 hours on my DAC19DSP in a little less than a year when it stopped working.  There is nothing about the setup that would have caused it to fail other than use.  The power on the music server system is protected by a quality UPS and all components are set up properly to avoid heat issues.

Send me a detailed internal pic (DSP removed and a shot of the DSP itself) if you haven't boxed it up and shipped it yet...I may be able to spot something that you missed........PM me for my email address. In that PM could you explain what happened please (setup details etc etc) I may be able to help avoid the return shipment.

Peete.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I may be stating the obvious but has the OP done any kind of continuity check.

Any competent E/E can do that, it could be as simple as a bad solder joint or duff cap etc.

Agreed........It might be worthwhile for the OP to check the input wiring connections (from the COAX jack etc) and for that matter output wiring....it could simply be a matter of a wire coming free...it has happened before.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back