Audio-GD Compass vs. Beresford Caiman
Dec 8, 2009 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sektr

New Head-Fier
In the market for an amp/DAC and after initially (earlier today) having a budget of $700 I've decided to cut it back. I've heard excellent things about both these products, but I'm not sure which would be better. My headphones are Denon D5000s.

Also, if I choose the Compass, which HDAM would best suit the D5000s and my taste in music (all types of rock, metal, indie, alternative, electronic, etc.)?

Thanks guys!

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 4
The Compass is very nice, but as a DAC, the Gamma 2 is nicer. Add a used amplifier from the for sale section and you could be in for a treat.

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm kind of set on these two, after doing some research it seems the Compass is a lot more popular so I think I'm going to get that.

I hear the Earth is probably my best choice in HDAM?

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I use my Caiman with my grado RS2i's and it sounds really good, very revealing with loads of detail if you like your music warts and all I recommend the caiman.
Plus the opamps are socketed, if you so wish to change them.

On the last 'trail of the dead' album it was slightly off putting thought to hear knocks and clonks on the drum kit, people moving about on seats and such like whilst the music is playing, I didnt here it with my senns but i did with my grados. But then again they did cost me ten times as much as the senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back