Audio-GD almost catches on fire
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scaud

New Head-Fier
I've had an NFB-12 for years that has always run hot, but such is the beast. Fortunately I was at home today when I started to smell the mounting intensity of that toxic chemical smell of an electronic component burning.

I immediately shut down everything electronic. After a painstaking process of elimination, multiple breaker trips, and receiving an electric shock upon touching the case of the Audio-GD, I opened it to discover its blue internal power supply sizzling, bubbling, and faintly smoking.

I'm guessing all the ingenuity at Audio-GD goes into the audio without thought to a simple fuse, overheat shutdown circuit, or other safety measures. Needless to say, I'm done with Audio-GD. No level of audio fidelity is worth burning my house down.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah I don't think they have to follow US regulations. I was originally a fan of their stuff and owned a few things, but damn it ran hot and just seemed sketchy. After I had a unit die, I ceased being a fanboy. Plus, who knows if the parts they use are legit..could be fake Chinese crap. I'm a diehard Schiit/USA man myself now.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Burning components happen. There is no doubt that fuse is present in your device, but fuse do not protect from bad smelling, only from burning your house.

If there is any further dispute on a presence of the fuse in Audio GD equipment, I am not going to participate. I do refer to the other post where user also could not find a fuse but a photo attached to the post clearly indicate where fuse can be found. It is marked yellow around a thicker heatshrinked part of the cable.
11417403.jpg

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Burning components happen. There is no doubt that fuse is present in your device, but fuse do not protect from bad smelling, only from burning your house.

If there is any further dispute on a presence of the fuse in Audio GD equipment, I am not going to participate. I do refer to the other post where user also could not find a fuse but a photo attached to the post clearly indicate where fuse can be found. It is marked yellow around a thicker heatshrinked part of the cable.
11417403.jpg
You're really a funny one aren't you? First claiming I said things that I did not, then claiming there's a fuse inside the transformer cable. Truly lunacy at its finest.

Here's an email exchange between me and Kingwa yesterday. See for yourself where the fuse is. Maybe with all those 'electrical knowledge' of yours you can file a patent of a fuse inside a cable. I'm sure it'll sell well. :)

Attachments

• screencapture-mail-google-mail-u-0-2021-04-15-10_01_53.png
    screencapture-mail-google-mail-u-0-2021-04-15-10_01_53.png
    602.2 KB · Views: 0
  • screencapture-mail-google-mail-u-0-2021-04-15-10_01_53.pdf
    584.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 132222.png
    132222.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 14555.png
    14555.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 0