• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Schmidter

New Head-Fier
Found this DAC/AMP. Chinese website it's called: 15 R2R, in the Netherlands it's called S15.

Can anyone vouch for this product? Sadly much more expensive in EU.

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R15/R2R15CH.htm
http://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/S15-R2R-NOS

Edit: Bought it. Quick review.

Tested with my home speaker system, old sony speakers, good but not anything anyone would know. :) + My K7XX's. Pairs beautiful with real speakers, as the sound reconates much more with your body, comapred to any other combination I've tried. Makes you feel the music, and it feels good. Vibrations/Rumblings. Currently testing with HD600's.

Positives

R2R dac's changed my view of how music should sound, this feels and sounds much more natural to me, I found a new love!
Simple clean substantial design.
Volume knob.
Revealing with good recordings.
Resparked my love for music. It feels different, more organic. Like when I was a kid, I thought this was just being a kid. But this "old-school" sound is alot more pleasing to me. Would love to try great vinyl playback, but it's a big hazzle.

Negatives

The gain is not very good. Changes the sound too much, and introduces "artifacts".
Some weird sound when at the start and end of some type of playbacks of sound. Not that big of deal when you compare the lush sound you get. Probably some driver compatability issue, since R2R dac's are not the norm.
Bad recordings will sound bad. Have too much background noise.
Revealing towards bad recordings.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 12
I bought one today.
First impressions? :) I've also ordered one.

Edit: This thing has changed my life. I've refallen in love with music, this is what's been missing for all these years. All the D/S dac's I've tried has all been harsh listening to. This is ****ing beauty, I feel the bass so much, not that there's more of it. I just feel it. The rumbling inside me, this crap is addicting!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 12
I agree. :)
Musical, very smooth sounding dac. The built in amp also great. Absolutely stunning with the LCD3.

Agree. Really opened up my K7XX's, pairs really well with them. Much more dynamic, while still not being fatiguing. Other dac's I've tried that opened them up more, just made the top end fatiguing.

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 12
Just wondering, are these typical characteristics of R2R Dacs ? I bought the R2R 11 which haven't arrived and it's in process of being assembled.

if there's going to be a lot of wierd sounds etc, might opt to change to 11.28 before they ship it out.

"Negatives

The gain is not very good. Changes the sound too much, and introduces "artifacts".
Some weird sound when at the start and end of some type of playbacks of sound. Not that big of deal when you compare the lush sound you get. Probably some driver compatability issue, since R2R dac's are not the norm.
"

thanks.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Just wondering, are these typical characteristics of R2R Dacs ? I bought the R2R 11 which haven't arrived and it's in process of being assembled.

if there's going to be a lot of wierd sounds etc, might opt to change to 11.28 before they ship it out.

"Negatives

"

thanks.

The higher noise floot, which you will only hear on very low recordings, I think is a R2R thing. Unless you get the really expensive stuff. But you only hear it in very little types of music. And IMO the sound you get form this, is something else. If you are at least bit the tiniest interest in trying an R2R NOS dac. I urge you to try it out. The R2R R11 is also the finalized version from what I see? It should be a bit better. But also a tiny bit more expensive. I'm totally in love with the sound, I'm just glad I'm again able to listen to music for hours. And now enjoying it even more than I ever had. I think the high gain different sound has kind of burned in. I don't notice it much really. And the higher sound floor more volume produces again is only heard in few songs. And doesn't affect me. I def still prefer it to all other dac/amps I've ever tried. Such a natural sound. It's just great. I'm not certain what is most important, the NOS or R2R part, or both. In recreating this natural beautiful lifelike sound. If you get the R2R R11, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 12
The higher noise floot, which you will only hear on very low recordings, I think is a R2R thing. Unless you get the really expensive stuff. But you only hear it in very little types of music. And IMO the sound you get form this, is something else. If you are at least bit the tiniest interest in trying an R2R NOS dac. I urge you to try it out. The R2R R11 is also the finalized version from what I see? It should be a bit better. But also a tiny bit more expensive. I'm totally in love with the sound, I'm just glad I'm again able to listen to music for hours. And now enjoying it even more than I ever had. I think the high gain different sound has kind of burned in. I don't notice it much really. And the higher sound floor more volume produces again is only heard in few songs. And doesn't affect me. I def still prefer it to all other dac/amps I've ever tried. Such a natural sound. It's just great. I'm not certain what is most important, the NOS or R2R part, or both. In recreating this natural beautiful lifelike sound. If you get the R2R R11, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Thanks for the explanation .. appreciate it.

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 12
Hi everyone I was wondering does anyone know the difference between R2R 11 and R2R 15. All the specifications are same.. according to the Chinese Audio-GD site, R2R 15 is only available in mainland China after translating the Chinese website with google translate I found out it says "Dutch custom version, sold only in mainland China with no more than 50 units" and it also says "Support PCM / DXD / DSD hard solution" what does hard solution mean??

Please let me know .. cause I'm planning to buy a R2R15 very soon from China cause its way cheaper than R2R11..

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi everyone I was wondering does anyone know the difference between R2R 11 and R2R 15. All the specifications are same.. according to the Chinese Audio-GD site, R2R 15 is only available in mainland China after translating the Chinese website with google translate I found out it says "Dutch custom version, sold only in mainland China with no more than 50 units" and it also says "Support PCM / DXD / DSD hard solution" what does hard solution mean??

Please let me know .. cause I'm planning to buy a R2R15 very soon from China cause its way cheaper than R2R11..

15 is the experimental version before 11. The 11 is better. Had an extra noise reduction filter. Otherwise same stuff and specs. But looks waynicerbuildthan the 15, probably again because 15 is the experimental version before the completed one. If I would be buying again, IdI go for 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back