Audio for Androids.....and phones, too!
Jul 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

awry-fi

New Head-Fier
Mr. Data just wanted to be human, head-junkies or gear-heads... or whatever we're called here...can "get to that"....in the George Clinton sense.....

So. I just got a Note 4 after 10 years in iOS jail and I'm pretty bewildered by it all. (But excited! Customizing is fun, however, goodbye, sweet sweet Marvin epub reader......).

I just want to make sure that the overwhelming consensus for a music player is Neutron. It worked well enough for me on the Apple side, so everything should be familiar at least. Anything contending yet?

And as far as the lower power-draw DACs like the microStreamer and Dragonfly, I shouldn't need a hub, correct?

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 12
Oh, and the words "Cyanogenmod" and "custom ROM" are banned in my thread. :D

(I'm trying to roll a custom distro on the parents' router without "approval" and I only have the summer, so kicking that one down the road!)

Kidding of course. If you have experience with either w/r/t audio, please share.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 12
I use UAPP.  I was a Neutron user and it was good as well however switched because UAPP worked with my DAC (Oppo HA-2) on my previous phone* (HTC M7) and I never switched back after updating to the LG G4. 

* M7 definitely a little flaky with USB Audio. Most times would work but sometimes wouldn't no matter what. Been perfect on the G4.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Neutron is just fine, especially since they improved the UI for the Parametric EQ.
Also Onkyo HF Player is very good and has a superb EQ that you can draw the curve on the screen. There is a free version, the pay for version does hires files, which IMO brings nothing useful to the table.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 12
Jul 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 12
As far as I can tell, AT&T Note 4s (SM-910As) aren't able to even get a "temp" root as of yet. Temp being a completely foreign idea I'm only recently coming to terms with....in the context of aforementioned router that just wants to mount and flash the stock "ROM" everytime I reboot. I come from a fairly straightforward Linux desktop world where up is down, black is white, salt is pepper, and root is f&#%ing root! As it should be.

But that's something to look forward to anyway. One more question though....getting host mode and sampling rates correct is mostly solved as long as I stick with the big players, right? Neutron, PowerAmp? I don't need USB Audio Recorder/Player's custom USB drivers or a micro to USB female OTG for a microStreamer, or worry about putting the device into host-mode manually everytime I want to listen?

Also, it'd be nice for once not to have to go change the sample rate on every song/album to match the file's, like I have been in iOS's Neutron. UAPP's website doesn't have nice things to say about Lollipop's resampling though.

If that's the case, I don't mind going with UAPP. Also, this fine? https://www.jdslabs.com/products/86/micro-to-mini-usb-otg-cable/

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Forgive my noobness, but with any of these apps I could play music from my Moto E (Android),  to  my car radio, via a USB cable ?
Thanks in advance !

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 12
  Forgive my noobness, but with any of these apps I could play music from my Moto E (Android),  to  my car radio, via a USB cable ?
Thanks in advance !

It is unlikely that your car has a USB DAC built in.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 12
  As far as I can tell, AT&T Note 4s (SM-910As) aren't able to even get a "temp" root as of yet. Temp being a completely foreign idea I'm only recently coming to terms with....in the context of aforementioned router that just wants to mount and flash the stock "ROM" everytime I reboot. I come from a fairly straightforward Linux desktop world where up is down, black is white, salt is pepper, and root is f&#%ing root! As it should be.

But that's something to look forward to anyway. One more question though....getting host mode and sampling rates correct is mostly solved as long as I stick with the big players, right? Neutron, PowerAmp? I don't need USB Audio Recorder/Player's custom USB drivers or a micro to USB female OTG for a microStreamer, or worry about putting the device into host-mode manually everytime I want to listen?

Also, it'd be nice for once not to have to go change the sample rate on every song/album to match the file's, like I have been in iOS's Neutron. UAPP's website doesn't have nice things to say about Lollipop's resampling though.

If that's the case, I don't mind going with UAPP. Also, this fine? https://www.jdslabs.com/products/86/micro-to-mini-usb-otg-cable/

I believe that at this point, other than using a program like UAPP or Onkyo HF (paid) you will get 48 K 16 bit USB audio using Neutron or other apps using the Android USB Audio infrastructure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back