Audio enthusiasts on a budget
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Allentown

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I am pretty new at this stuff and wanted to see if from you guys there were any easy corrections or worth while gear to add. My goal was just to get an all around good experience and variety without going too crazy or insane. To that goal, i ended up with the following to cover my use cases.

Here is what I am working with:

Sound goes -> Amazon HD ->Topping D 50->Shiit Loki (Yes I like to adjust my base and treble etc on the fly depending on my mood...sue me) -> Shiit Magni to one of several headphones (mostly Mass drop stuff)
Focal Elex
Fostex TRx00 Ebony
Senn HD 58x and 6xx (yes I bought both)...and yes they sort of have the same use case so that might have been a misstep.
HE 4xx

I am getting 24bit 96khz audio out of amazon. My shiit magni seems like maybe the weakest link but i have plenty of power.

For mobile I run an LG V35 with Shure SE535ltd, Sony WH1000xm2 or Vmoda M100 crossfades.

By the way if anyone is wondering my favorite phones by far are those Fostex Ebonys

I haven't been on the forum here in about a year or so and have no idea whats new or if I am doing it right so far....

Coming here and asking was probably less painful than watching a few hours of Z reviews so.....

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Do you enjoy listening to music on your setup? If yes, you're doing it right!

Yes and no. To be honest, the Mark Levinson in my Lexus and my whole house sonos system (which consists of 3 Play 1s, two play 3s, a play 5, the original sound bar and the subwoofer all spread throughout) are both still way better experiences than phones. Even the cadilliac 34 speaker Panaray and 10 speaker enterpoint are a bit more fun than just using phones.

I might be doing it wrong.

I came up on LARGE 5.1 to 7.1 analogue sound systems from the early to late 90s where the living room looked like stone henge, the speker were 4 to 5 feet tall and you had to run wires under an area rug. Those systems sounded fricken amazing. Sonos however isn't too far off suprisingly.

I think i read some where the PSB MU series uses "room stage" or something to simulate a home stereo system. Maybe I should try those or some of the more expensive planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back