Audio engine D1 with SR850?
Jan 5, 2014 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

minzeee

New Head-Fier
Hello, im new to the audio scene so im wondering if the audio engine D1 dac/amp is suitable for the Samson SR850. It is 32 ohms so im wondering if the dac will help or might damage the headphones. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 12
  Hello, im new to the audio scene so im wondering if the audio engine D1 dac/amp is suitable for the Samson SR850. It is 32 ohms so I'm wondering if the DAC will help or might damage the headphones. Thanks.

The Audioengine D1 ($170) seems like overkill for the $50 SR850 headphones.
I would think you would do better to buy a cheaper DAC/amp and upgrade from the SR850 headphones.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 12
  Hm, do you how many reccomendations? My general listening is 50% gaming and 50% music/movies

I would say to add a Asus Xonar DG sound card or Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z to you PC computer, for now.
Should improve the SR850 audio quality, then see how much you would be willing to budget to upgrade headphones.
I would think the AKG K612 Pro headphones would be a good upgrade, maybe keep an eye out for a good price on used.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 12
  I would say to add a Asus Xonar DG sound card or Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z to you PC computer, for now.
Should improve the SR850 audio quality, then see how much you would be willing to budget to upgrade headphones.
I would think the AKG K612 Pro headphones would be a good upgrade, maybe keep an eye out for a good price on used

Ok, i was looking around on amazon and i saw the Q701 was the same price as K612 ($200) but i heard they needed some power to drive. I i got the Blaster Z with it which apparently has an amp, do you think it would be ok? Also i was thinking about getting the Denon AH-D600 because i heard they don't need a powerful amp but still sound good. Thanks

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 12
  Ok, i was looking around on amazon and i saw the Q701 was the same price as K612 ($200) but i heard they needed some power to drive. I i got the Blaster Z with it which apparently has an amp, do you think it would be ok? Also i was thinking about getting the Denon AH-D600 because i heard they don't need a powerful amp but still sound good. Thanks

The Denon AH-D600 are only 25-Ohm and the Sound Blaster Z's headphone output impedance is 22-Ohms, so not really a good combo.
The AH-D600 would work best with a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of around 3-Ohms or less.
An external headphone amplifier like the Schiit Magni or O2 (Objective 2) which has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm, would be a better choice for driving the AH-D600.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 12
  The Denon AH-D600 are only 25-Ohm and the Sound Blaster Z's headphone output impedance is 22-Ohms, so not really a good combo.
The AH-D600 would work best with a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of around 3-Ohms or less.
An external headphone amplifier like the Schiit Magni or O2 (Objective 2) which has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm, would be a better choice for driving the AH-D600.

How about Q701's with Blaster Z?

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 12
  How about Q701's with Blaster Z?

I would assume the 62-Ohm would work with the SB-Z head amp
But you might consider asking on these threads on how well that combo works
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-series-z-zx-zxr

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 12
  Thanks, if i was getting the D600, do you think i need an amp?

The AH-D600 does not need a headphone amplifier, but I would not plug it into a receiver or a motherboard or a sound card.
As their high impedance output would cause problems, like a bloated bass (louder with less detail).

A portable audio device or portable headphone amplifier or low impedance headphone amplifier, would be better for bring out detail in the audio.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 12
  Do you recommend any portable amps that don't cost too much?

The FiiO E11 portable headphone amplifier sells for around $60-$65, I own one and have had no problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back