Audio comparator utility
Oct 5, 2006 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

judgmentday

100+ Head-Fier
Do you guys know a utility to compare wav, mp3, mp4, etc. files directly from their format? I have WinAbx but this utility compares only 2 wav files. I want to compare a wav file with a mp3 directly. Thank you.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by judgmentday
Do you guys know a utility to compare wav, mp3, mp4, etc. files directly from their format? I have WinAbx but this utility compares only 2 wav files. I want to compare a wav file with a mp3 directly. Thank you.

You could use lame --decode to convert the mp3 back to .wav...

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 11
But does this converted WAV from mp3 would sound identically to the original mp3? I just did it and the WAV file produced from the mp3 sounds way up too bright and loud compared to the original WAV file. Very easy to identify.
It was a MP3 @ 256 vs. WAV file. I used the regular computer speakers, in my home stereo I guess it would be more noticeable.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

But does this converted WAV from mp3 would sound identically to the original mp3? I just did it and the WAV file produced from the mp3 sounds way up too bright and loud compared to the original WAV file. Very easy to identify.
It was a MP3 @ 256 vs. WAV file. I used the regular computer speakers, in my home stereo I guess it would be more noticeable.

Foobar2000. Just select any two files, right click, and select "compare."

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Yes, it will be identical. Anytime you play an MP3 file it will be decoded into PCM. A WAV file converted from MP3 contains exactly the same PCM data provided you use the same decoder. And even in the case of using different decoders the possible difference may be audible only in very special circumstances.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Foobar2000. Just select any two files, right click, and select "compare."

Where do you get the "compare" option from?
I have version 0.9.4

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Where do you get the "compare" option from?
I have version 0.9.4

Sorry, I forgot that the terminology changed in v9. It's under Utilities --> ABX two tracks.

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Sorry, I forgot that the terminology changed in v9. It's under Utilities --> ABX two tracks.

Sorry but still I can't find it. Under utilities just has:
Create an album...
Send to Playlist... and
Save as Playlist...

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Maybe you need the foo_abx extra comonent?
Look in the foobar components and see if you have foo_abx.dll

Oct 5, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
No, it does not have it. Where can I find it? Thanks.

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 11
This falls under the category of "programmer thought it would be simpler, but user doesn't think so."

To do ABX in foobar 0.9.x, you have to select two tracks in the playlist, THEN do right-click-->Utils-->ABX two tracks. Note that you can select two tracks that appear far apart in a playlist by using Control-click.

ABX is a handy utility, I think more people would us it if they could see it in the menus...how often do you right click when two and only two tracks are selected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back