Audio clicking issue with Samsung s10+ and USB dac/amp
Apr 2, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #91 of 99
Seems like the S20 has the exact same problem?

I'm not going to help I'm afraid but only confirm that I have simliar issues with audio via USB C output. A clicking / popping sound.

I am trying to figure whether it is common issue so it can be solved. Looking lke it's not just my phone.

source

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #92 of 99
Seems like the S20 has the exact same problem?

source

Yes. I'm actually browsing this forum because I search for pops and clicks + S20 + Chord Mojo. I have a S20 ULTRA and I love the phone but I've been using iPhones before (the last one being a 11 PRO MAX) and somehow I like the sound from my iPhone a little more. So I took my old Chord Mojo hoping it could make my S20 Ultra sound better and, yes, it's noticeable better but with all those pops and clicks (like listening to vinyl albums in bad shape) it takes a lot from the experience. I am at lost: Tried to USB C DAC Adapters and no noticeable improvement. Can you recommend me a way to get better sound? Is there an USB C DAC that really works? My headphone are the Sony MDR-1AM2. I think the WH-1000XM3 are supposed to be the wireless version of the 1AM2. I think I might as well buy them and forget about DACs and such.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

May 18, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #93 of 99
Hello,
I'm new to the audiophile world. I have 2 sets of 1more triple drivers. With an inline USB dac brand of JSAUX from amazon with a Topping NX1S AMP. When I turn my amp up so high I start getting this extremely high pitch noice and the music gets quieter. Can someone tell me if this is related to the problem in this thread. Inhave a galaxy s10 with the may 1st update usa version. Or am I just inexperienced and pushing too much power to the headphones? I'm a little baffled.

May 19, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #94 of 99
Hello,
I'm new to the audiophile world. I have 2 sets of 1more triple drivers. With an inline USB dac brand of JSAUX from amazon with a Topping NX1S AMP. When I turn my amp up so high I start getting this extremely high pitch noice and the music gets quieter. Can someone tell me if this is related to the problem in this thread. Inhave a galaxy s10 with the may 1st update usa version. Or am I just inexperienced and pushing too much power to the headphones? I'm a little baffled.

That sounds like the amplifier is having a hard time driving your IEMs. So most of these IEMs are really low impedance and using any phone with an external amp will probably have a hard time driving them. You may want to check with the company and see if you may have a defective unit. This has nothing to do with pops and clicks.

Thanks,
Gordon

May 19, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #95 of 99
Yes. I'm actually browsing this forum because I search for pops and clicks + S20 + Chord Mojo. I have a S20 ULTRA and I love the phone but I've been using iPhones before (the last one being a 11 PRO MAX) and somehow I like the sound from my iPhone a little more. So I took my old Chord Mojo hoping it could make my S20 Ultra sound better and, yes, it's noticeable better but with all those pops and clicks (like listening to vinyl albums in bad shape) it takes a lot from the experience. I am at lost: Tried to USB C DAC Adapters and no noticeable improvement. Can you recommend me a way to get better sound? Is there an USB C DAC that really works? My headphone are the Sony MDR-1AM2. I think the WH-1000XM3 are supposed to be the wireless version of the 1AM2. I think I might as well buy them and forget about DACs and such.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

In general almost all Android phones are not compliant with the UAC (USB Audio Class) Specification. 99.999% of them do not handle the volume control correctly and are actually not compliant at all in that area unless you use the Extreme Audio driver which fixes that, but then some apps don't work with it so then you are SOL.

The Samsung problem is simply that it is ignoring the feedback pipe which is the driving force behind Asynchronous protocol. Therefore the DAC which drives the HOST with the feedback pipe is either under or over running it's internal buffer which then means it resets everything to start over and that causes the pops and clicks.

All IOS devices are 100% compliant as they share the same code that is in all the macOS products.

Bluetooth products are really poor until the next radification of the new specification is done and even then it won't be even close to being true cd quality. Plus if you are streaming so Cell or WIFI->Bluetooth then your really going to loose resolution. WIFI, Bluetooth and Cell all share the same antenna to receive and transmit data. Audio is not error correcting so SQ will not be in your favor.

If your serious about music, direct connect is still the best avenue.

Thanks,
Gordon

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #96 of 99
Thank you Gordon!
I've decided to go with an EarStudio es100 mk2 and go that route. The phone clearly doesn't have enough power to push these triple driver 1More earphones whether through the headphone jack or USB-C through a dac and amp. Like you said though the topping amp I bought might be inadequate. They are 32ohm earphones. When I play them through the headphone jack on my galaxy s10 they just sound really low. Maybe I'm missing another volume setting idk.

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #98 of 99
I can confirm that my S10 does not practically work with any USB DAC. Samsung just want to force you to buy their inferior junk. They don't care about reports or bugs unless a lawsuit follows so I guess all we can do is moan. I've reported bugs and included logs to them about this issue for months, and I've been ignored.
I was hoping to use a DAC in my car to avoid the Exynos DAC, but annoyingly using a USB DAC simply seems to disable the MIC input.
So I thought "Huh, what if I buy a usb microphone and use a USB hub..." yeah, it plays fine through the dac for a little while, then either crashes, or just reboots. Best part is I can hear it work for a few seconds with the DAC, but it will immediately turn off the dac and speakers if it detects the USB microphone, so somewhere some developer decided that one device is enough, two devices = nothing at all, suck it!

Got upgraded from an S8 after it broke and got a replacement S10, didn't realise it was junk... Never buying Samsung again, not use for it whatsoever.

Oct 17, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #99 of 99
I have found a solution to the popping/crackling issue - Not all cables are equal.

I bought a pair of Hifiman XS headphone and Hifiman EF400 amp/dac which at the store was connected to a MAC and didnt have any issues. When I got home I connected the amp to my Note10 and started to notice the popping/cracking sound which at first wasnt too bad but seemed to get worse the longer I played music.

I found this post and tried every suggestion but nothing worked. The next day I disconnected and reconnected and the popping seemed even worse. As an experiment I tried all the different cables I had but non made any difference except the cable my wife got with her new Oppo phone.

The Oppo are shipping their phones with a new high speed charger which comes with a special 8A charge cable. As soon as I tried this cable all of the popping/cracking disappeared. The next day I went to the Oppo store and bought the cable which is an OPPO VOOC Cable USB-A to USB-C and I connect this to the OTG Adaptor into my phone. There is a picture of the box that the cable comes in below. I hope this helps as I was thinking I was going to have to buy an Apple phone just for music
20221017_212747.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back