Audio Channels and Bitrates
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Spinjitzu

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to convert FLAC files into 320kbps AAC files. Before conversion, if the audio channel is set to stereo (2.0) and the bitrate to convert to is 160kbps, will I ultimately get a 320kbps file (160 x 2)?

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm trying to convert FLAC files into 320kbps AAC files. Before conversion, if the audio channel is set to stereo (2.0) and the bitrate to convert to is 160kbps, will I ultimately get a 320kbps file (160 x 2)?
No, the bitrate that you set is already the total for both channels.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Check out this site: https://convertio.co/flac-aac/

Please read the descriptions under the settings and confirm for me if what they say is true. Thanks :)
Ah, apparently there you have to set it per channel after all (with that specific tool, maybe not always). But normally bitrate without mentioning "per channel" would be the total.
Whenever in doubt (if you use another converter tool that doesn't specify it that clear) you can always find out by converting one track and see what you get.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 6
128 is what I encode mono music at. It handles every organic crackle on 78s well. It's always best to encode mono as mono. If the source is a metal master, surface noise will be different in each channel. Summing them to mono reduces surface noise overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back