"Audio" CD-R's ?
May 31, 2010 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

G.Trenchev

100+ Head-Fier
I've bought some CDs to record,they are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.Never heard that brand before,but I like the gold surface design,also they are stated "For Audio".What does this mean?
Is there any difference between regular and "Audio" CD's ?
Taiyo Yuden also have discs stated "For data",they're little cheaper.

May 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 9
On the other hand, while there's no difference between an "audio CD-R" and a Data CD-R of the same brand, there are differences between brands and even between the models of the same brand.
From memory, CD-R with a Azo variant dye and a gold reflective surface are the best, as in the less prone to failure over time and exposure to UV.
You'll have to google the brands.

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm not sure about the difference between "audio" CD-Rs and normal CD-Rs, but Taiyo Yuden is a good manufacturer. I've been using their CD-Rs and DVD-Rs for archival and they last longer than cheaper brands. The burn quality is better as well.

If you're burning audio CDs, burn them at slow speeds so that there are less errors written to disc.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Jun 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah,I'm always writing at 8x.They seem pretty good,TAU analyzer found 0 errors in ten discs recorded.
So?Is the lifetime the only thing better in quality CD-R's?

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Burning at max speed always caused errors for me too, regardless of the max of the drive. I typically went at the halfway point.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Audio CDs are a legal thing; in some countries they pay more taxes because it is assumed they will be used to duplicate copyrighted material.  Other than that, they have nicer cases and colors and are more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back