Audio cable - from iPod to RCA recommendations?
Dec 6, 2007 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

crazychile

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an audio cable that I thought would be common, but it doesnt seem to be...

I want a cable to go from my iPod to a pair of Audioengine powered speakers. So I want to run the docking output of the iPod (not he headphone!) to a pair of RCA terminations. All of the cables I find seem to be a mini to RCA which wont do it for me. I know I can use a separate iPod doc and run mini-to RCA from that, but I dont want to use the docking station because I would need to take the iPod out of the case to dock it. I just want to plug a cable into the docking port on the iPod and then connect it directly to the powered speakers.

Does anyone know any cables that do this? Cheap cable is actually preferred here. Or is there something I'm not understanding that would prevent this approach from working? I havent been on this website for ages, but you guys always seem to come through with the answers.

Thanks in advance,
crazychile

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Probably the cheapest (and still have some quality) would be a sendstation. Sells for around 25 - 30 dollars shipped. Comes with everything you will need. Also comes with usb cable so you can charge while listening. I have one and still use it occasionaly. Mostly use my Turbo, but sometimes have to use the sendstation when ipod battery gets low.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys,

I just looked at the ALO cable and that is exactly the type of cable I'm looking for. But $175 is waaaay to much for this application. Does anyone make a cheap version? I really wanted to keep it under $50 if possible. It seems strange that someone isnt mass producing these things.

If not, I dont have a problem with doing dome DIY. Do you know where to buy the Ipod connectors (Mouser/Digikey, etc) and what its actually called? Also if anyone knows of any links that actually descripe the pin configurations, that would be great.

Thanks again,
crazychile

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Get a sendstation pocket dock with line out. It does exactly what you want and it comes with all the cables you need.

See ya
Steve

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Ok I just checked out the Sendstation. This was recommended by the first responder also. On the surface it would appear to do everything I need EXCEPT I dont want to remove the ipod from the protective case. So the only thing that I have seen so far that fits is the stock ipod cable that connects the ipod to the pc/mac. I need a cable with a connector that is that slim. Because the connector on the sendstation is essentially a dock, I dont believe this will insert far enough with the case on to work. Can anyone confirm?

I already have the standard iPod A/V dock from Apple but I never use it because the case always has to come off in order to make the connection. All of the solutions I've seen seem to put me in the same situation

I really think I'm back to homebrewing one of my own cables. Does anyone know where to buy those connectors and what theyre actually called?

Thanks everyone
crazychile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back