Audio advice please :)
Dec 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pLuhhmm

Head-Fier
Sorry if this is the wrong section ?_?

I consider my self a newbie audiophile, if that. I know enough not to buy certain headphones and what make headphones better (Sorta).

Anyway, I have some Sen. HD 201s right now and I asked for "HARMAN K81DJ AKG Closed-Back Folding DJ Headphones", for x-mas.

Before I ask any questions, this is what I use my headphones for, starting from what I use them the most for.

* Gaming on my xbox 360 using a logitech audio adapter
* Gaming on my laptop
* Music & Audiobooks
o I use winamp w/ DFX audio enhancer
o I listen to rap the most, then rock genres and classical.
* iPod 5.5g

My friend just got the Audio Technia ATH-A700 headphones they are a huge improvement over my $20 HD 201s but, while the bass is present and crisp, I think I want a tad more bass in my cans, but not so much that it ruins the music.

Now my question is, are the HARMAN K81DJ AKG headphones right for me? And are they the best for the price range.

Also, are there any good pocket amps or something that would improve my experience like a toslink connection(?)(My friend told me it would improve my audio b/c its digital?) and could I use it while gaming?

Thank you!

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 21
frown.gif
frown.gif
No help ):

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 21
First off - they are AKG K81DJ headphones, NOT Harmon Kardon.
Are you looking fro open or closed headphones?
What is your price limit?

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He was linking to the Amazon page with every reference-- they list it on there as that. Technically speaking, since Harmon Kardon does own AKG, they aren't wrong calling it that!

Toslink isn't necessary unless you're running something with high resolution audio, so I wouldn't worry about it unless it's your only connection option.

I can't comment on K81s, but there are quite a few options sub $100; answering Charlie's questions are probably a good start for more recommendations.

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 21
Closed headphones or open if the headphones are a great price, but I prefer closed.

Price range $60-70.

Also, can anyone recommend a cheap pocket amp like this or a good in-line control adapter?

6f2vqa.jpg

My friend is looking for one for his new Audio Technia ATH-A700s so he can control the volume while using them with his xbox 360. Personally, I use some Sony speakers I have and just plug the headphones into the front and control the volume using the speakers.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 21
Since I cant sleep ):, Ive been looking on the forum and other sites for headphones in my price range.

I use amazon for quick pricing, amazon seems to have good prices give or take a few $.

Shure SRH240

JVC HARX700

Beyerdynamic DT 235 Do these look like theyre made with cheap plastic to anyone else?_?

Denon AHD501K By "On-Ear", do these headphones go on my ears and not over them?

For the next two Im wondering if the 50mm are worth the extra $30 compared to the 40mm, does anyone know?

Sony MDR-XB700 50mm XB

Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB

Sennheiser HD428

Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5V

If someone doesnt mind, which would you say is the best or is there better?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the companies have had ties in the past. just look at the AKG K27i ands JBL410 (link below) I can understand the ... misunderstanding.

http://headphonedeals.org/wp-content...comparison.JPG

I wonder how they compare against the JBL Roxy?

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 21
Shure 440 if your budget allows for it would be a very good choice as they will well with your Ipod and your computer.

The price of these phones is a bit higher than the $100 mark but they are coming up in a few threads lately and they look mighty fine and seem to bet getting a few good reviews M-Audio Studiophile Q40

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 21
So after reading some amazon reviews (lol), I think Ive narrowed it down to three headphones. Shure SRH240, Beyerdynamic DT 235, and Sennheiser HD428, but the HD428 are pushing my budget, but they look as if they would be the best for my price range and by price range, I mean how much my mom will spend on my headphones lol. In college btw.

Dweaver, the Shure 440s are out of my price range ): The Sen HD428s are pushing it even =/

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 21
Anyone have more suggestions?

Dec 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 21
The 240s are alright for gaming and a little less alright for music, imo.

I got to use them with the Astro Mixamp, they were amazing. I actually preferred the 240s over the A40s. I used them anytime I didn't need to communicate.

I mean, they'll do the job obviously. Their positional audio is good, and it's always nice to not have to hear outside noises.

For music, their highs can be a bit harsh. Their bass has gotten better since I first bought them. Vocals are fairly crisp.

But now I have AD700s, and although I haven't gotten to try them with the A40 Mixamp I can already tell that they're even better. They're open and a bit over your budget, but would be definitely worth it.

I'd recommend closed cans over open ones, you get so much more immersed in the game. You'd probably do well with the 440s or any of the closed Sennys (if you can find them in your price range).

As far as amps go, you don't need anything too serious. I'd say try any of the cheap Fiio ones (E1, E3, E5). I'm waiting for the E7 and E9.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 21
Yeah it doesn't surprise me that the Astro headphones arent that great and I dont expect much from the amp either.

I was looking at the Fiio amp/inline or w/e and it seems to be exactly what Im looking for for cheap.

Are there any headphones for my price range that hasnt been listed?

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 21
I play a lot of MW2 on 360 and I just started using the Turtle Beach HPX through the Astro Mixamp. I was using the AD700 with the mixamp but I find that I'm using the HPXs more because of the mic and I find the bass to be a little deeper. When I don't talk though I use the AD700 because it's so much more comfortable.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 21
What I do instead of using headsets (Ive never used a gaming headset for pc or 360 that was worth more than $50, includes astros), I just use headphones and the 360 mic, the mic headset either goes over my headphones or around my neck

Any more recommendations for my price range?

Here is my current setup.

1844662.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back