Audio Advantage Micro or M-Audio Transit ?
Feb 23, 2006 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
Please help!

Should balance well with ER-4P, no amp.
No more then 10ms latency at 44,100 16Bit with ASIO driver - important!

Thanks
Adam

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 11
I can't comment on latency, but I have the M-Audio Audiophile and the Audio Advantage. I find the audio advantage is much more pleasant to listen to than the "audiophile." I would assume the transit is similar.

The M-Audio seems to have a better amp, but is *exhausting* to listen to. The highs are razor sharp, but harsh (not sweet). Portishead is unlistenable. Especially on my ER4s (though not quite as bad without the P->S adapter).

It seems M-Audio gear might pair better with closed cans or something like an HD-650. Though I'm still not sure if I'm hearing extended treble or just noise.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Interesting...
What about ER-P with the Micro?

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 11
I have both the Transit and the Turtle Beach (TBAAM), and although the M-Audio Audiophile's amp may be better than the TBAAM's, the Transit's is most definitely not. If you're not amping the Transit, it has horribly sharp treble and little-to-no bass out of the line out. The Transit is clearly more detailed in the treble, but like nightfire said, M-Audio devices tend to sound grating and hard to listen to. The Transit is no exception. The TBAAM has a relatively powerful little integrated amp of its own, and I find it a good, smooth source+amp for listening to my 325is and ER-6is.

If you were using an amp, then the differences would be less outright, and you might enjoy the increased detail of the M-Audio. But if you're not, you're going to find the Transit a fatiguing and bass-less source.

As to latency, the Transit has selectable levels of latency--"high, medium, & low"--but I don't know how that translates into ms.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cake
The TBAAM has a relatively powerful little integrated amp of its own, and I find it a good, smooth source+amp for listening to my 325is and ER-6is.

You know I always found that to be a little disturbing.. how good the amp *is* for that little tiny USB dongle.
smily_headphones1.gif

But you piqued my curiosity; I ran my audiophile into my home rig via RCA instead of using its own onboard amp. It did help clean up the treble a bit, but it still lacked midrange presence. The only A/B testing I could do is against the AVR 75's Burr/Brown, which ... kinda rules.
biggrin.gif
So it's not really fair.

One thing's for certain.. the TBAAM is one amazing buy for the money.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 11
one question, adamsuf, how did you decide on audio advantage micro and the transit? what they have that interest you? i always want to know how people narrow down their choices, as there are so many to choose from.

a lot of people talk about the echo, have you considered that as one of your choices. if you dont have a laptop, then nevermind.

btw how does the transit connect...thru usb?

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZuf
Interesting...
What about ER-P with the Micro?

Oh; it's excellent. Good match, but there is a little hiss with the ER4P; the P->S cable eliminates it.

One word of warning: CHECK THE VOLUME before you hit play. For me it starts full when I plug it in, and good lord IEMs are loud.
basshead.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
one question, adamsuf, how did you decide on audio advantage micro and the transit? what they have that interest you? i always want to know how people narrow down their choices, as there are so many to choose from.

a lot of people talk about the echo, have you considered that as one of your choices. if you dont have a laptop, then nevermind.

btw how does the transit connect...thru usb?

Well, I often take my laptop out of the house and edit music I compose. In the house I got a professional audio recording interface (Presonus Firepod), but I can't take it with me. On the go I need something that is bus powered and as portable as possible - I don't use the ER-4 for critical mixing of coarse anyway, so the soundcard doesn't have to be the top of the top - just good synergy with the Ety's as a starting point. At ~$25, why not. later I go back home and continue.
Of coarse the soundcard of my laptop is total crap..

Anyway, in any situation on the go, portability is much more practical then being anal about the finest quality - so I stopped all of the portable amp stuff, it's silly IMO.

Yes, Transit is connected through USB.

Feb 27, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 11
Can anyone install ASIO4All and test for output latency in cubase please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back